Single parents.. mainly mothers! Answer me this... is my girlfriend (26) independent?

@ecowolf How so? Cuz I was there for every step my mother had to go through even up to the point where I ended up having to step up n pay rent in full at 16

I even asked my mom n she believes that my gf should b more independent and self sufficient than to try n rely on me to take care of her

@grammyjean So you know what it’s like to step up as a child. You do NOT know what if feels like to be the parent needing a child’s help.

Sounds like you need to leave your girlfriend or you’ll both be forever resentful of each other.

@ecowolf How don’t I understand? I watched my mom pick herself up and struggled to do it alone. She had little to no help my pops wasn’t there as I was coming up for private issues I watched my mom do what she has to do in order to not need a man but getting govt assistance sure that’s dependence’s in a sense but never did my mother ever need another person to come in our lives to come save us

@grammyjean That doesn’t mean that you know what it’s like to be a single parent.

You don’t know what it’s like to look your 10 year old in the eye and tell him that he can’t play baseball this year because you have to work instead of driving him to practices and games.

You don’t know what it’s like to lay in bed at night alone, wondering how you’re going to afford to take a day off of work AND pay for your sick 2 year olds doctor appointment.

You don’t know what it’s like to starve while you watch your 5 year old eat a peanut butter sandwich with, with just a tiny bit of peanut butter and the heals of bread, while you eat nothing because the food is gone.

You don’t know what it’s like to put your child to bed, and sit on the couch alone and wonder if you’re doing well enough. If your child is happy enough.

You DON’T know what it’s like to be a single mom. You’ve seen it, sure. You can sympathize all you want, but you haven’t been there, and you don’t know.

Just like I’m not gonna sit here and say I know what it’s like to be a military wife. I’ve watched my sister deal with a deployed husband first hand. I’ve been there for her through it all, so I know what it’s like.
I don’t. I can sympathize, I know it’s hard, but I don’t know what it’s like to deal with every raw emotion there is about it.