Single parents - the forgotten heroes

@joseph700 My only child is a teenager. I shudder to think wtf I would have done if he was younger! My work never went WFH & my son had to do remote school for a year & a half. He was basically home alone from 8:30am to 5:30pm 5 days a week that whole time. Occasionally my Mom or Dad would stop by on their lunch breaks to check in on him, maybe once a week, for 30 min. If he was younger, there's no way I could have kept my job. There is no one else that could watch my child. His father and his side of the family have never been in my son's life, I'm single, and my parents both continued to work in person. The only other family that lives near by are all much too old to watch small children for extended periods, they are all 70+ mostly in poor health. My daycare budget has long ago been re-allocated to a bigger home and teenage boy sized grocery bills. Even if not, daycares all closed down for a long time.

I have no idea how all the solo parents, like myself but with young kids, managed to get by the past few years!! I can only imagine the hardship and stress.

@godspell Yes, I’m grateful mine is a teenager as well but she had several suicide attempts in the past few years, so holding down a full time job had been difficult when I either need a house sitter or I need to be home or I am spending days waiting for a mental health bed which never comes up so I have to bring her home and try to also be a psychiatrist.
How has your kiddos mental health been? I know my child is one of many suffering through this. The system is overwhelmed.

@joseph700 Man i hate the unexpected closings. When my daycare closed from the 11th to the 24th ..it opens tommorow. It hurt me so much. Im in school and i had a hell of a time... I had to console a screaming baby, feed and change both my her and my toddler all while taking exams and doing hwk.. And im taking AP and Lab, math and medterm.

Thank God ive gotten A's and B's so far. But the shit ia ridiculous.

But the unexpected closings make me worry there will be more in the future.
I just think if i had work and it just closed like that Id be fucked. No job wants to here your kids daycare will be closed from the

11th to the 24th 2 damn weeks.

I feel for the daycare workers bc theyre not likely being paid for their time off.

Just crazy times.

Back