Selfish teenager 15f

cal

I need help on how to deal with a selfish teen whom has previously self-harmed.

We are at our wits end with her and want to place her in therapy for her belligerent and unappreciative attitude. Our challenge is, she has flat out told us she will not speak to a therapist, PERIOD..

We are now being met with a lot of facial smirks and F/U grins when she is asked to do anything at home.

Is there any hope in resolving this?? Is there any hope this will turn around soon?

@cal You seem to be misunderstanding the purpose of therapy. You don’t do therapy for a bad attitude or being unappreciative, and if that’s the way you’re framing it, it’s not surprising she is resisting. Therapy only works if she feels safe and free from judgement. Right now it sounds like you both expect the therapist to promote your point of view and I’m sure that sounds like being ganged up on to her. Good therapists help you figure out to deal with difficult things in a way that is true to you, and communicate with others in your life. That might look like her better communicating things that she’s unhappy with you about and you kind of need to be prepared to take her unique point of view into consideration. But hopefully even if that’s the case you move to a better mutually fulfilling relationship with your soon to be adult child.

@cal Is she selfish or is she miserable, being overly controlled and self-harm is the only way she can feel the slightest bit of control over her life/body/feelings?

I would suggest family therapy. No teenager is "selfish" unless their parents have shown them somehow that is the (maladaptive) method to get their needs met.

@monstershouter What would you consider to be overly controlled?? She does live in two separate households; one place is with mom, stepdad, stepsister and half-brother. When with me, it’s just her, our puppy and myself.

The self-harm, from what she told us was to body-shame (hates her hair) she is Black with curlier hair, her friends are white with more straight type of hair. We are trying to understand what is causing her other anxiety, but no details.

At home with me, she does have simple chores, homework and walking her dog. Lately I have been trying to reduce her screen time on her phone, as well as reducing time on social media. You

@cal It's not about what I consider....it's about how she feels.

Reducing social media to reduce comparisons is a good step but I would focus on a "we" solution not a "her" solution.

People are not islands unto themselves. We are all affected by those around us. We evolved to be social beings and when society is complicated sometimes its difficult to reconcile those feelings.

Work on building a non-judgmental team mentality w your daughter, so she feels more supported and less like she has to fight the battles of adolescence alone and on her own.

That's why I suggest family therapy instead of individual therapy for her.

@monstershouter Thank you very much for your input; we honestly have never considered family therapy.

Any idea how this family therapy dynamic should work?? Should it be strictly between her, her mom and I? Or should the family therapy also include her stepfather?

@cal Has she always lived in two households or was there a recent (ish) divorce?

Are you and her other parent on the same page? Do you coparent effectively and cohesivley?

Family therapy should start with you and her other parent, then bring step parents in at the appropriate time. The therapist will help you with this.

@louisphan Her mom and I split when she was very young (2 years young), so yes, she has always lived in two households. Her mom married 5 years ago; stepfather brought a similar aged daughter into their family. They also had a child together 3 years ago. She dislikes her stepfather. She has also made comments in the past of wishing her mom and I had stayed together as a family.

My dynamic is, I did not re-marry. My focus has always been on her. Also, mom and I do not coparent well. We have different thoughts on what should be allowed vs not, I.e. screen and social media limits.

I do have an issue where I do want her to appreciate all that she has and all that I and her mom do for her.. but now I am reading and seeing this is maladaptive behavior and will adversely impact her mental health..

@cal Her appreciation will come later. She is a teenager now, they do not think at the same level or have the same capabilities of empathetic and abstract thought as as adults do. You cannot hold her to adult standards. Doing so will only cause both of you more pain.

For now, start therapy with whoever you can get to go willingly. Even just you two is great! The therapist will teach you both healthy conflict resolution and communication tools that you can put to use with the rest of the family, and you can practice them together.

@cal As someone who came from a home where a nasty divorce took place and my parents were never on the same page...

I suspect some of her struggles likely stem from a feeling of insecurity. I don't mean in her physical appearance either. Kids, and teens, really need parents to be on the same page (no umdermining) in order to form a secure attachment. This attachment has nothing to do with how much she loves either of you...but how secure you both make her feel in relationships with others and with herself. When someone has a more insecure attachment style, they may self sabotage and act out especially in their teen years.

As for the step dad, oyeee...that's gotta be tough. I feel for her. My dad was with a new woman whom I hated and her daughters too. I feel fornyour daughter here but have no helpful advice. I can say this was a HUGE factor in my anger as a teen though.

I agree with the previous comments regarding family counseling. You should probably start with just you and her mom, then add your daughter in, then only when the therapist recommends add in the step dad. A lot of this may come down to learning how coparent better before you can start helping your teen.

@louisphan This makes me even more sad. I know the feeling of having a parent re-marry and not like the stepparent (my stepfather was very physically and emotionally abusive)

I am trying to find therapists now to help guide us through this.

Thank you for your feedback.

@cal We're all just out here doing our best. Parenting can be an awfully sobering experience if we ourselves have lived through our own childhood trauma or hardships. The fact that you are asking for and seeking help is WONDERFUL. You are doing great!

@monstershouter Let's call it egocentric. Still normal. Yes, they can certainly be empathetic and think abstractly, but overall (as I am sure you are aware) their brains are still developing. I have an 18 year old and teach 18 year olds -- they are wonderful people. But, they can be quite self-involved. We don't have enough information to know on a granular level what the OP meant.

@cal Teens are so rough. Mine got mental health issues and pulled the wont talk to therapist or take my meds. Okay then no phone, no allowance, only the basic needs like education, food, and a roof over your head. Voila they go to therapy they take their meds etc. all about reward/consequences

@cal In our home with our 1w year old daughter.. we set expectations and make them clear.

You can live here BUT its expected that you will contribute somthing. You can have your space BUT its expected that you will maintain relationships within our family (aka.. no hiding out in your room for hours on end..coming home and grabbing food and shutting your bedroom door ect). The expectation is that she is responsible and will contribute toward the functioning of our household.

What does this look like?
Chores. She gets (clean room, make bed, feed dogs 1x per day, take dogs pee 1x per day, make lunch for school). If she completes her chores, she can expect to receive an allowance on every Friday.

If she makes a mess in the kitchen-she is expected to clean it up.
If she wants clean clothes- she is expected to do her laundry.
If she wants to hang out with friends. She is expected to be home by curfew and inform us of where she is going to be.

If she pulls an "FU" face or she whines or complains or argues. I respond casually with " if you decide you want to behave this way, then I will have to remove x privilege.". This is a choice you can make for yourself. Do you want X or X?

One thing i have learned is this...
Kids need structure. Teens need structure. They may not ask for it, but they need it. Especially if they feel out of control. Girls tend to feel more out of control because of the PMS mood swings and hormones. At this age, they are 12 going on 20. They want their complete independence but lack the maturity and understanding of responsibility. Without structure.. they feel more out of control.. being out of control leads to behaviours like self-harming because its somthing they have control over themselves.
Giving them an opportunity to have control over their own life by phrasing things as a choice, empowers them to take control and develop independence. You also take away that element of you being their jailer. The tendency is for the teen to blame the parent for the "thing you took away". They are less likely to view it that way, if you casually talk to them about how its their choice that determines the outcome- positive or negative.

The second thing to realize is that somtimes these behaviors(belligerence and self harm) ae attention seeking. They are for the "shock factor". How can i shock my parents or get them to react? Our daughter kept cutting herself superficially and the counsellor at the school kept calling us to report this and so she came home and I said to her "hey can i see your wrist? I heard from the counsellor that you are cutting yourself and i havent seen it yet..could i see your wrist? And then i promise i wont ask about it again ok?". So she shows me her wrist and i say "okay. Thanks for showing me" and i carry on as if i hadnt seen it at all. I dont treat her any different. I had a meeting at the school and asked her counsellors at school to try and reduce the amount of attention or reaction they give to her when she shows them.
Sure enough a week later..she stopped. But why? Simple. She wasnt getting the reactiom she wanted or attentiom she wanted from it.

Some may say "oh well your kid will find somthomg else to do then". Maybe she will and maybe she wont. Kids push boundaries and want to know just how far they can push and just how we will react. If we stop feeding them the reactiom they want.. they will stop doing it because its no longer fun for them. They are losing the game.

Back