"pUt YoUr BaBy DoWn GrOgGy BuT aWaKe"

@robert777 Honestly I nursed to put my first to sleep at night for the first 14 months of his life, then we assumed the same position without the boob. Hes 2 now and goes to sleep on his own just fine.

@robert777 I started using the crib when my baby was 4 months and I have a camera above the bed that can read a breathing band. It tells me how long ago I laid her down. She would show all the signs; sucking her thumb, rubbing eyes, yawning, she’d grunt and whine with her eyes closed if she’s laying in my arms.
So I put her in her crib and stand outside her door and watch the camera. Her routine is hear the door close, roll over on her belly, crawl a little, sometimes just sucking her thumb, then sleep. It took up to 7 minutes but sometime only 2. She wears diapers with up to 12 hr wet protection at night. So from 4 month up til now 10 months, she’s in her crib ready to go to sleep once it dark and then sleeps 10 hours. With the camera, I’ve answered her as soon as she’s moved and I can tell she’s waking up because her breathing is above 30 breaths per minute.

The time change was hard to navigate because it moved up her bedtime to around 6:30 instead of 8. But if it’s still dark in the AM, we make her a big 7 oz bottle, change her diaper, and only speak in whispers and just use the nightlight. I lay her back down for a little 2-3 hour nap.

What messes up moms is thinking we control their bodies sleep schedule. They get 16-20 hours of sleep the first 6 months of life, their waking time learning need sleeping time decompressing and processing. They have natural energy reserves that need to be exhausted using all their motor skills.
Also being awake is super fun and they’re fighting their body making them sleep. That’s got to be frustrating! I’ve quietly whispered let the sleep take you, you can’t fight it. I got her snuggly and warm rocking her quietly, it’s like baby chloroform.

@robert777 We rock ours to sleep for 30 min and then put them down. So far it’s working. We tried putting them down slightly awake and they just wake up shortly afterwards.

More power to the people for whom this works but it ain’t us!

@robert777 For us it’s 50/50. Sometimes she’ll put herself out if she’s tired enough. Other times she’ll snap awake, flail her arms about, flip into her tummy and scream.

My wife tells me that this is necessary since it’ll make her a better self soother. No idea if this is true or not. Wish these kids came with manuals 🤷‍♂️

@robert777 And that is why I got to listen to dying llama wails last night.

5m is awake/asleep/awake/asleep from 7:30pm to 11pmish (if I’m lucky). When he is awake, he makes low wailing noises until he passes out.

@robert777 Best way for me to get my babe in a deep deep sleep is to try to feed her more. If I put a boob in her face she tightens her lips and glues her eyes shut and becomes a rag doll. It’s great because then she wakes up 20 minutes later starving wondering why I gave her such a small meal to begin with 🙃

@robert777 Same here. And if I do manage to set her down, it’s a good 5-10 mins before she realizes I’m not there and cries. Idk how she knows, smell? Idk. But she knows she’s been put down and will wake up soon after.

@robert777 At 5 months we essentially ditched sleep training efforts, fed her until she slept. I’d wait 5 minutes and test to see if her arm was floppy or if it’d spring back. Floppy = out like a light, put her down. Spring back = give it a couple more minutes.

I’ve grown to enjoy this part of bed time. It allows for less stress, less struggle, and I get to cuddle her a little more while she’s still small enough to enjoy it. She just turned 10 months and I know eventually We’ll have to change this routine, but I’m happy with how the last 5 months have gone since quitting sleep training and feeding her to sleep.

@robert777 Yeah, that is awful and dumb advice. Never followed it. I have a happy baby who sleeps well and just wants to be close to mama, which is biologically normal. No complaints from me.

Back