Please don’t feed my baby from your plate

@1shizueallen1 I’m terrified of this happening to me. My daughter is 9m and she has severe food allergies as well, one of them being eggs and we also have to take an epipen everywhere we go. I’m scared of someone trying to feed the baby something she can’t eat. We are only around close family and they all know about her allergies so they always ask me if they can give her something, even my 7yo son is always on the look out and telling family she can’t eat this or she can’t eat that. Poor baby breaks out by just being near the kitchen when I’m cooking eggs.
By the way have you been able to have skin test and blood test done on him? We haven’t been able to do either so we are going by suspected allergies. And I also find it so hard to cook for her, she has so many suspected allergies

@1shizueallen1 This is completely unacceptable. I also have a toddler with an egg allergy (minor) but a PB allergy so we also have to carry an epipen and this is one of my biggest nightmares. I hope your poor baby is better!

@1shizueallen1 I don't want to scare you. But the reason you shouldn't over do it on benadryl is because too much can kill you. A number of babies have died from it being used by people to get the kid to sleep (day cares for example). It can kill adults too, especially when mixed with certain meds and alcohol. Just kids are at a much smaller dose. Obviously your son needs it. But it isn't that it will make him too sleepy - it can - but too much could kill him.
I just mention this because it seems like your dr may not have told you that.

Your reaction was appropriate. You didn't over react. They should have asked. But honestly it's weird.... I'm not sure if you know this person or not. It's even weirder when you don't.

I'm not sure why these random people feel so entitled to our children.

@1shizueallen1 Somebody handed my peanut allergic son unwrapped Reese's pieces on Halloween and we barely got him to spit them out. people are idiots. don't feed other people's children without asking, it's not hard.

@1shizueallen1 I’m surprised you have an epipen for a baby. My 11 MO has a peanut allergy and I was told that they don’t give out injector pens before a certain weight limit because there is a real danger of hitting the bone in someone so small. Instead we have a liquid antihistamine to give her incase of accidental contact. I guess it differs by country? I’m in the UK. Curious about all this as we are new to allergies. Anyway, completely agree with you. You don’t give food to anyone else’s children unless the parents have agreed on it. My neighbour gave my other child some cake without asking and it was annoying because it was really close to meal time and we don’t eat a lot of food like that at home. Plus all I could think was thank god she doesn’t have an allergy or dietary restriction. People don’t think 🤦‍♀️

@1shizueallen1 Ah, that’s interesting to know. That wasn’t mentioned to me. Is it quite a severe allergy that your LO has? My daughter’s allergy level is 3/6 and her reaction was a rash around her mouth and anywhere the peanut butter touched her. I wonder if the epipen option is offered more for anaphylaxis type level of allergen.

@csmartgla His started out lik that with eggs. But then it spread to whole body hives with stridor (restricted breathing) but the stridor wasn’t life threatening since it just touched him and he didn’t eat the egg

@csmartgla Epi pens are for anaphylaxis. It's the only way to stop severe reactions. If the other meds aren't working then you may want to get an epi pen. But if the allergy is that bad it might be worth having one anyway.

@moes Yeah, I had a little look and came to that conclusion too. We’ve got Piriton syrup that worked for her so I’m happy to keep that on hand at all times instead

@csmartgla There is a recent brand called AuviQ which is a lower does and smaller needle made for infants that does 16 to 33lbs. We just got one for my toddler for peanut and egg.

@moes Iirc, it was like age 5+. Because the needle is so big and a health professional would struggle to not hit the bone, let alone a panicked parent in an emergency.

@csmartgla Curiosity got the better of me... There's a child specific one apparently that's for 15-30kg but it's sometimes prescribed to smaller kids if there's no other option.

@ocdstinks Aww, sorry to hear that. Have you had a consultation with an allergy clinic? They were really helpful for us, the GP referred us after daughter’s allergy blood test came back with results. Get yourself some Piriton syrup. My GP prescribed ours on my insistence because my daughter has eczema too and there is a link between babies with eczema being more likely to have food allergies. Or you can buy it yourself over the counter - it’s Piriton Syrup and says suitable for 1 years and over on the box but my GP is comfortable for it to be used from 6 months. Sounds like you’re following the egg & milk ladders. Best of luck, there are lots of resources on Instagram and online if you have a search!

@csmartgla Unfortunately there isn't an allergy clinic in my area so our GP referred us to the paediatrician and dietitian instead. We do at least have piriton and use that for any exposures. My little boy had quite bad eczema too but it completely cleared up once we stopped eating his allergens.

@1shizueallen1 I HATE this . I have a 7 month old and we are starting to go thru the allergy foods, so idk if he is allergic to anything yet! We recently went to a memorial service with people over the age of 65. EVERYONE tried feeding him. I don’t even know these people and there was someone trying to give him sips of their drink that they just backwashed into 🤢 it was also soda. I about launched myself across the table .

Back