Please do *not* buy your kids Hoo Jit Zu toys

@d2west I would say neutral if your lawn is wet enough. Good if your lawn is dry in the areas where the orbeez were left. At least temporarily. Until they degrade.

@d2west They are treated with a bittering agent. Apparently wildlife is smarter than most people’s kids and don’t follow through with eating something that tastes disgusting

@joshlynn888 A couple of things.

Water beads can possibly continue to expand after ingesting, so no, they are not harmless to pass as that could lead to a blockage even if they are “fully expanded”.

Also, they can be aspirated, which is incredibly dangerous.

They can be found with ultrasound.

The material itself is not toxic, however, the material used in its construction most definitely is, and there could be residues from it leading to brain damage from acrylamide monomer poisoning.

@joshlynn888 So I already got one of these as a Christmas gift for my kid, but I just looked at a "what's inside" video on YouTube for the one I purchased, one of the DC Heroes of Goo Jit Zu toys, and there are not Orbeez or water beads inside, it's this weird goo material. So not all of them are applicable to this PSA.

@joshlynn888 My 3 year old got a ball filled with these things.

It lasted 2 hours, and the orbeez were all over. Never again! Nope. No way.

Too scary.

Thanks! This is a good safety tip!

@jlfow Nope, don't feel bad! That nice, sturdy looking plug comes out really easily.

Tell her they can give her a bad boo boo, or a big owie, however you do. If something is dangerous, you can explain why in simple terms, I tell my little fella.

@elisac Some of them get very sticky and clump together, some of them can actually get quite large, and some kids just eat a lot of them. The “good” ones crumble when pressed on, and are less of an issue, but those seems to be the exception and not the rule. Since they are not easily broken down (if at all), it’s not much different from swallowing a number of marbles.

@elisac There's a mom on Tiktok who almost lost her one year old because she swallowed one water bead, and it swelled so much in her intestines that it completely blocked them. Baby ended up having to have multiple surgeries to repair everything.

I'm definitely not purchasing anything like that any time soon. My 3 year old still puts everything in his mouth.

@joshlynn888 We have tons of goo jit zu’s for over a year and haven’t had any issues. But I can see it becoming an issue if they break. Thankfully ours haven’t. I think one sprang a leak and we tossed it. But my 5 year old loves them.

@joshlynn888 I see the price of these things and can’t imagine why anyone would pay because anything with that gooey texture is dirty and garbage in minutes .. thanks for the warning

Back