PLEASE ADD TO MY LIST OF THINGS YOU'D TELL YOUR YOUNGER SELF

@zina200045 Especially appropriate in the age of social media: Never compare your everyday to someone else's highlight reel.

Or even more succinctly: Comparison is the thief of joy.

@zina200045 #4 seems pretty irresponsible to be provided as general life advice, tbh. Ignoring the wisdom of the crowd simply for the sake of doing so would create so much unnecessary risk and friction in the typical person’s life.

“You’ll enjoy yourself more if you always do the thing that most people think is a bad idea!”

@zina200045 I agree with all of these, but a lot of them I’m pretty sure I would not have been receptive to in my late teens early 20s. I can’t think how I would explain 1, 4 and 6 to my 20 year old self in a way that I would have understood. I would have thought I got it, but not really internalized it. Even coming from someone trusted like my dad there is a good chance I’d reject it for how I felt I wanted the world to be. Ultimately we need to experience life to learn a lot of this stuff, and as parents the best we can do is try and make sure that our kids are able to process their experiences into knowledge well and that experience doesn’t cost them too dearly.

My own: Good friendships/relationships are built on vulnerability as well as strength. There’s a balance between the two in an equal partnership, and sometimes the best way to help someone else is to let them help you.

@zina200045 Discipline yourself or others definitely will do it for you

It's ok to change your mind and regroup

Others views of you don't define who you are

It's ok to get mad and have feelings, it's not a excuse to act however you want.

Join the Air Force

@zina200045 Feed your creativity! Never stop creating and flexing your imagination! Even if your art sucks, or it has no direction, never stop pushing your creative ideas into reality.

@sweetstars Hell yeah! We play drums and draw during much of our free time together. Two passions of mine that I wanted to expose her to. Perhaps they blossom or perhaps she just sees what passion looks like. Either is OK.

@zina200045 That’s the point, right? Not only to introduce them to things but also showing them how much you love something. And stand aside to let them forge their own wants, needs, and dreams!

I have my guitars hanging on walls and bunch of smaller instruments throughout the house, even showed them how to hold a mic. Whether it’s the books on the shelves, or instruments on the walls, all I can do is show my boys what potential the world has, and hold their hands until they have to hold mine.

@zina200045 Don’t be afraid to wear your weirdness proudly. People are attracted to confidence and you’ll also attract those who appreciate your quirks.

As a female who is always caring about what other people think, I think letting your daughter know it’s ok to not worry about fitting the norm is good. It’s far too often girls are taught to be liked and fit in.

Same could be said when dating—if you’re kind and respectful, and they still don’t treat you right or like you back, move on. Not worth the heartache.

@zina200045
  1. You are in fact judged by the company you keep.
  2. Failing is okay, quitting is okay but never give up in the pursuit of something that continues to matter to you but be prepared to move on if needed.
  3. Don't let people destroy your dreams. They will try.
  4. Be kind to yourself.
  5. Slow down. Enjoy the moments they don't last forever.
  6. Stay active.
  7. Don't compare yourself to others.
  8. You are stronger than you realize but don't let it harden you.
  9. Pick the right relationship, a bad spouse can fuck your life up more than being lonely ever could.

Back