PLEASE ADD TO MY LIST OF THINGS YOU'D TELL YOUR YOUNGER SELF

@zina200045 As a dad, I can count on one hand the number of times I spanked my kids. I'm no snowflake, but looking back if I had to do it over again I wouldn't have. I was/am a parent, I love my kids with all my heart, I hate to think of all people in this world that I was the one to introduce any type of physical violence to them. Yeah it was a tap on the arse but I had and used much better methods of discipline at my disposal. It was still physical violence. Doesn't matter what level it was on.

As a parent I think I did pretty good but I'm far from perfect. I let my kids know at a very young age (as soon as I felt they were able to understand) that I was an imperfect person, most everything I did was out of love for them but I'd still make mistakes and I wouldn't always be right even if I said or believed I was. It was up to them to think for themselves at a young age. Maybe I lost some power/ authority/ fear/ respect by letting them know that but it was the truth. My kids knowing they were truly loved was more important than blind respect, I didn't want my kids to interact primarily out of fear with me and they didn't.

I guess since I truly cared there's always going to be regrets, I have a few but I've admitted (and apologized) when I thought it was appropriate....

Growing up, my family dynamics were sometimes a lot different than my kids had. As parents I think a lot of us look at the job our parents did and try to improve upon it.

@zina200045 I would tell myself it's ok to be uncomfortable. That's when you're growing.

When I was younger I was socially awkward, I was really quiet because I felt that people are always judging me so I didn't want to do or say anything that'll make me look stupid/bad. I would also tell myself don't be too self-absorbed with my image and just live life and enjoy others.

@zina200045 Never be afraid of rejection

I wasted so much time wondering if a girl liked me or not. Now that I'm older I think, what the hell all I had to do was ask and find out instead of wondering. I was so scared of someone not liking me that I missed out on so many dating opportunities

@zina200045
  1. Good
  2. Careful not to be skeptical of everything, some things need to be experienced before they're understood
  3. Disagree. Be most excellent to one another, but advocate for your own wishes
  4. Disagree. Being contrarian for the sake of it will only help you to miss out on things you don't understand. Instead be true to yourself, do not cave to peer pressure.
  5. Naw. Don't value yourself by what you provide to others. Do for others if it makes you happy and enjoy the reciprocal friendships that develop naturally.
  6. Yup.
  7. Yup.
  8. Hell yeah brother
  9. Do things you feel scared to do, not things that violate your morals
  10. Not all that glitters is gold
  11. Yup.
For me:

you can't change the past but you can learn from it

@redcloud Specialization! Absolutely agree. It's something I learned later in life as well, particularly as I drove towards learning a discipline and caught glimpses of what it takes and means to be great. I'm definitely a good-at-many-things-great-at-nothing person but I've learned to try to improve 1% every day.

@zina200045 If someone speaks from the heart, respond from the heart. If someone speaks from the brain, respond from the brain.

More important than being right is being loving; more important than being right is being effective.

When it comes to emotions, slow is fast, and fast is slow. If you want to be efficient and effective at dealing with others emotions, go slow and just be there with them. Don’t try to solve anything until they’re ready.

You cannot give what you do not have.

Do EMDR therapy and parts work asap.

What happened to you in your past is not your fault. Your response to your past now is your responsibility.

Every month, read a book about something you’re working on, whether it’s leadership book, management, habit formation, writing, etc. Always be a self-learner. (P.S. Audiobooks are the way.)

Your struggles are nothing new; for thousands of years, men and women a lot smarter and older than you have experienced the same types of struggles and through pain and suffering, came to their solution. Instead of doing the same for decades, learn from them and save a lot of time and pain.

It’s not wrong to be wrong, it’s wrong to stay wrong.

Do not fear your painful beauty.

Get tested for ADHD; your life, actions, and struggles will make so much more sense. It’s not you, it’s your ADHD. The person’s not the problem; the problem’s the problem.

The quality of a man is determined by how quickly he apologizes and takes responsibility for his actions.

You are who you are, you can be nothing else; nothing more, and I pray nothing less.

The best kind of money is the money that makes you money. The second best kind of money is the money that saves you money. The third best kind of money improves the lives of yourself and others.

@zina200045
  • The moment you're no longer the dumbest person in the room, start looking for another room. Never grow complacent. Never coast.
  • Choose something you tolerate to work with. Don't work with what you love, because you won't love it for long.
  • Get into shape. Keep in shape.
  • Take good care of your teeth.
And also the obvious things about future events and which stocks to buy, of course.

Back