Opinions on nudity in the household

nonaffiliated

I’m 33F and live mostly alone with my 8 yr old daughter, since we live in a warmer environment I’m often in my underpants and that’s it, no bra or shirt. It’s usually just if I’m doing chores around the house or relaxing on the couch. My daughter is fairly casual with clothing around the house as well, full nudity is rare but happens time to time, but she knows never to do it in public or outdoors. I picked up this habit from when I used to live with my parents who did the same. My question is should I not be doing this? Is it an unhealthy habit to teach if it’s solely done in the privacy of our own home?

@nonaffiliated It doesn't matter as long as you are both comfortable with it. I'm a single mom to an 8yo girl. We change clothes in front of each other, she's seen me shower (usually because she wants me to hurry up so I can help her with something), etc. I don't hang out naked but if it's hot I'll lounge around or do chores in shorts and a sports bra. Just yesterday, she told me that she wants more privacy between us and she doesn't like seeing my boobs, so I agreed to change behind closed doors from now on. No big deal. She's getting older so it's normal for her to change how she thinks about nudity and whatnot and I want to respect her boundaries.

So I would say it depends on how you and your daughter feel about it.

@nonaffiliated I can’t find the link but there was a study about having a “naked mom.” Girls who had one were less likely to have an ed and boys were less likely to commit sexual assault/rape. As long as everyone is comfortable then it’s a healthy thing

@nonaffiliated 27 F and 6 F. I shower with my daughter most of the time to just speed up showering time. We change in front of each other. Showing her not to be ashamed of body. Aka i show her the difference when my leg hair is spiky vs smooth. She says I should grow it out like hers so it’s soft. I told her she can do what she wants with her body hair when she gets older. I also have a few tattoos which I bought temporary tattoos so she can be like mommy. I told her they hurt more than a shot from the Dr. I can confirm she no longer wants any. I ask her if she comfortable seeing me and showering with me. She is. I actually think it’s a good window for questions she may have that I did not get chance to ask or even discuss with my own mother.

P.s but I do enforce not everyone can see her naked. That private parts are meant to be that. We are okay to be a little more nude at home. That is the point of being comfortable. In my opinion.

To each their own every one has their own level

@nonaffiliated I “whinnie the Pooh” it a lot in my house with my three young boys. Just a shirt and underwear, also because of temps in Texas and just being comfy. They’re all almost always in their underwear and nothing else like their dad, and we are all comfy with it. It might get uncomfortable in the future but if it does, remember that we just need to have safe and comfortable take about it then. If someone expresses not liking it, being uncomfortable, then address it and meet their needs. Otherwise, as long as everyone is comfort in their own skin and not making any weird behaviors, I think it’s okay. We’re all born naked.

@nonaffiliated I’m all for it but I forgot my bathing suit top downstairs so I walked doeqnstairs with no top, holding my boobs with my hands and my kids dad was SO MAD couldn’t believe I was walking around like that thought I was a lunatic. My son 10, was sitting in the living room where I would have to pass and I didn’t mind like I’m his mothers it’s ok and this man made me go back upstairs … so I’m glad to see that there are people who thinks it’s ok

@nonaffiliated Lmao I walk around in my boxer briefs at my home and my wife bra and a pair of my boxer briefs the kids in their batman underwear mostly on really hot days

@nonaffiliated I'm 50m and my son is 9. I go from the bathroom to my bedroom nude often, and I have him do it for himself when he forgets his underwear or whatever. He's going to be changing in locker rooms in a few years; may as well get over it now.

@nonaffiliated I firmly believe, that at home.. One should be allowed to be, at the most comfortable you wanna be.

It's home.

(The only exception, of course, is if you have company over)

Otherwise you keep yourself appropriately dressed and what not, everywhere else.

@katrina2017 True, but like I walk around in boxers when at home sometimes.. I'm not comfortable doing that in front guests that may visit.. typically my kid's friends.

@nonaffiliated It’s fine. I grew up in a household like this. Never gave it a second thought that anything was wrong. The most important part is that she already understands that’s a home thing… not an anywhere else thing

Back