New parent tip from pediatrician

@brcseac For a baby that small, looking at interesting objects IS playing! I would try to do some tummy time on the floor if baby will tolerate, and also lay baby on back on the floor to stare at things. They can't see too far at this age, so a play gym with hanging objects is great!

It doesn't have to be expensive, this one is really popular https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076HYFZ37

Or if cost is an issue, ask around on local facebook groups for parents!

@blizz That's the one we have! I haven't taken it out yet because we've been in survival mode..I'm having some major issues with PPD and PPA so didn't even occur to me to get this out yet.

@brcseac I get it. I was there not too long ago. Having a safe spot to set the baby down and attend to your own needs is a good thing! I hope baby enjoys and you get a few moments with BOTH hands free.

@brcseac Its a lot of fun! I got that one just a few weeks ago. I'd say a 3 week old will appreciate the hanging objects and you will appreciate the lively songs. At 9w she loves to stretch out and kick so the keyboard is more fun for her to interact with. she obviously is too little to make the connection between kicking causing sounds but I think she likes to push back on somthing to test out moving her legs.

@brcseac Everything for a newborn is brand new snd they can barely see anything anyways! When my LO was newborn I just talked to him, give him random tours of his new house and cuddled him while binge watching Netflix trying desperately to stay awake 🙈 I constantly worried I wasn’t doing enough, now I’m on the other side I can tell you it definitely is enough and you are doing amazing ❤️

@brcseac My baby is 8 weeks and I feel the same, am I “playing” enough? We do some tummy time and I shake little rattles at him, read a couple pages aloud from Harry Potter, or display a few black & white cards. We sometimes listen to music or podcasts while feeding. but then I just put him in the bassinet and walk away. I never feel like it’s enough but my husband reminds me that babies need quiet time too.

@brcseac Three weeks is still very young and they don’t have long wake windows yet. We did contrast picture time, read books, and I sang a lot to our LO often. That being said, sometimes they just want to zone out and be with you. Give lots of face time and snuggles! You’re doing great, even if it doesn’t always feel like it.

@brcseac Not really. Ours is ~25 days and he JUST started to get some small activities—a couple of minutes of tummy time on our chests, a short walk outside, etc. Before, all he (or we, the adults) did was sleep when he wasn’t eating, basically.

If he’s not crying or fussing, he’s fine.

@brcseac I feel the same with my three week old - we just set up the baby Einstein activity mat though and she likes to kick the piano and look at herself in the mirror. I think I’m more entertained than she is but it’s something! We tried Tummy time on that too but she wasn’t thrilled lol.

@brcseac At that age our playtime was at most like 5-10 minutes long, typically following a diaper change and was dictated entirely by how alert she was. I do things like sing a song, make silly faces, 'brush' her hair, do a quick baby message, show her black and white objects...nothing super involved so calling it "playtime" is a bit of a misnomer.

Now at 9 weeks I do basically the same stuff but her "playtime/alert" window is a bit longer typically between 10min to sometimes an hour. Now I add in things like putting her in her floor play/gym station or mamaroo, sometimes I help her grasp or touch different objects, take her to the mirror, or I'll mimic her babbling...

@andronikos This happens to us all the time. The only thing I've found that helps is to keep holding her until she's in such a deep sleep she doesn't notice being put down. Doesn't work all the time, but you're looking for no movement from the eyelids and a more limpy and heavy feeling.

@rgleason426 I have a two phase test system. First I lift their arm to see if it flops back. Then I gently touch their forehead to see if they stir. If we pass both tests, the transfer almost always works.

There's a few ways to lay them down, too. I like to start with the feet and slowly work to the head, pressing my hands flat into the mattress under them so I can pull them out without disturbing them too much.

@andronikos At least in my case it was because my baby had silent reflux. He would eat one or 2 ounces at a time and sleep for 15 to 20 minutes. He didn't had any other sympton, but the ped diagnosed him with silent reflux, gave him gas drop and he started to slepe longer and eat more.