If your Kid were a straight-A student but also skipped school 2-3 days a week, what would you do?

godblessed777

Would you stop them or let them keep doing it because their grades were good?

Edit:I should mention I’m talking about weekdays, so out of 5 school days, they stay at home Thursday, Friday, and some Wednesdays.

@godblessed777 I was this kid, trust me when I say this kid hates school because he's not being challenged enough.

You absolutely need to give him harder coursework and try to push him to do more challenging things, you can't let him slip into complacency. Because once he grows up he'll start taking harder classes and meet smarter people and he won't have the work habits to cope with it

Also, what grade is he in?

@godblessed777 Ok, this might be the Asian in me saying this, but if you let him skip now, you are screwing his future over. Your kid legitimately has the potential to go to a top college and be extremely successful but if you don't challenge him, eventually his grades will suffer and he will not do as well in life as he was originally set out to.

Please try to push him to take harder courses and join clubs and rigorous ECs and figure out what he wants to do for the next 30 years of his life(he doesn't have to have it all figured out, but a general gist is good).

Trust me, grades are good but they are definitely not everything when it comes to academic success, especially as he gets older. By that I mean there is so much more that your kid can do and needs to do.

If you need advice on college admissions, just go to r/ApplyingToCollege. Especially with his potential, this is the right time for him to start applying himself and achieve great things.

@godblessed777 Honestly, bchalup has given some really good advice here. I’d take it! School is very important but I understand that the classroom is not for everyone. My brother was very smart but hated learning in the classroom, same with my husband. You can go really far in life if you put your focus into your education

@lingogirl7 Here's a sneak peek of /r/ApplyingToCollege using the top posts of the year!

#1: How do colleges get away with blatant fat shaming?

#2: I'm an incoming Harvard freshman. I'm nervous I won't fit in with the financial-aid students on campus as a rich kid.

#3: Bro I thought it was a bot 😭😭😭 | 78 comments

[sup][sup]I'm[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]a[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]bot,[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]beep[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]boop[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]|[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]Downvote[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]to[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]remove[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]|[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]Contact[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]|[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]Info[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]|[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]Opt-out[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]|[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]GitHub[/sup][/sup]

@godblessed777 You need to go to school. If you feel your coursework is too basic, add more AP courses or ask your teachers more more challenging work. Do not waste this time of life where you get a free introduction to so many potential courses of study and career.

@godblessed777 The problem is you need to be challenged in order to further your own education. If you can maintain straight A’s on 2 days a week to every other students 5, you’re not in challenging enough courses.

@godblessed777 You need much more challenging classes then. If you are in America, you might be able to take four year university courses during high school time and get high school credit for them. You get dual credit at both the high school and college level. You can also take community college courses in high school and finish high school with a two year Associate Arts degree as well as your high school diploma. It gets you jump started in college.

Talk to your parents and your school counselor about it.

In the end, you need to show up for yourself by figuring out how to challenge yourself academically. Help your school figure out how to show up for you. Don’t waste this time by letting school work be “easy.”

@godblessed777 Then you need to be in more challenging class. Get yourself to graduate early, passing multiple grades per year. A) you won't be bored b) nobody (nor you, nor parents) will be in legal trouble c)you will still learn the important skills for adult life that school is supposed to prepare you for (like being able to handle work schedule which does not typically give you half week free) d) you will finish education early and hence could start work experience early and retire early or accumulate more money due to headstart.

There is no good argument for skipping half of school days and all the good arguments for advancing grades faster if your current grade is that unchallanging to you!

@godblessed777 I was you and at 53 I wish I could go back in time and apply myself. My executive functioning suffered greatly because I didn't learn to get up, suit up, and show up. I used to roll my eyes when my mom would try to tell me how important that part was. She was so, so, so right about it. Now is when you develop executive functioning by taking committing to your responsibilities and applying yourself. Doing the bare minimum, even if you are getting As, at some point will bite you in the ass.

@godblessed777 The problem is that you are in for a rude awakening later in life.

I could have skipped school like you are talking about when I was your age and still gotten straight A's. School was boring because it wasn't challenging enough. But that changed in high school, university and in the work place. Suddenly things were much harder and unlike my class mates, I had never learned to work hard to learn.

You need to talk to your parents and school about how you feel and insist on being challenged enough to want to go to school. You clearly have a lot of potential, but with this mindset you are throwing it out the window.

Back