I did it. I told my ped.

@hihi55 I said the same thing for a couple months at the beginning. Luckily my husband is quiet though most of the appointments he comes to.

@j010203t I told my sons ped at the 2 month checkup, and she was all for it! She has three kids so I think she gets it. She was very supportive of our decision.

@j010203t I told my pre-natal midwives, my delivering OB & midwives, and our GP/paed that we co-sleep when it came up. Only one person warned against it but it was very half-hearted. I informed them I follow the safe sleep 7 to a T and we also use an owlet at night to support my nerves about risk.

Show me any other mammal that puts their infant in a cage away from them to sleep every night and maybe I'll change my stance, but currently it doesn't seem biologically aligned to me that we are expected to sleep apart from our children. I'll be as safe as I can reasonably be about it, but I'm still going to do it without shame.

@j010203t I told mine at one of our first visits and she was like "well I'm supposed to tell you it is not recommended by the AAP but I did it with my kids and so does everyone in my culture" and that's when i decided I could trust her with my baby's health

@j010203t I told my first pediatrician who told me a story about an 11 month old who suffocating when mom was sitting up in bed nursing and fell asleep falling over onto the baby. I pointed out that bed sharing, side laying to nurse would have prevented that tragedy and she just left the room. Didn't say anything.
My current pediatrician hasn't asked where my kids sleep or what they eat. He does labs, checks growth etc and asks if they eat well and sleep well. When I said good days and bad days for food he said give a multivitamin on the bad days. I love how relaxed he is, it helps me take him seriously when he's concerned about something

@j010203t 💀💀💀 I appreciate the sense of humor!

I told my pediatric nurse on our check up yesterday and was met with a "good on you" after telling her I'm confident about following the safe 7 rules and that in this way we all sleep better... basically offering an explanation that I probably didn't need to give her in the first place!

@j010203t Told ours at the 2-month checkup and got a similar response! She just said, “well, maybe you’ll want to transition to crib in the upcoming months so you’re not stuck with a toddler in your bed?”. No comment on the safety of it at all.

@j010203t I told my ped at one of the first visits when I was asked about how we (me and baby) were sleeping. He responded with a hidden grin and "that's great!" It felt like he wanted to talk about it more, but perhaps the office policy is to not encourage it. But it was apparent that my ped and his nurse fully supported bedsharing. Nearly 4 years later and he hasn't asked again.

@j010203t This is great for you!!! When I told my pediatrician at the 1 year check up, she gave me the “really?” eyes and said, “ok, well you know that’s not safe right?” So anyway, I got a new pediatrician at my son’s 15m check-up and the doc was like, “unless you want him to sleep with you until he’s like 5…then I guess.” So, I guess that’s not too bad lol

@j010203t Our lactation consultant was totally cool with it and even recommended the Safe Infant Sleep book by Dr. James McKenna! Our baby’s only a month old and everyone keeps asking if we’re getting any sleep - yes, plenty! Love getting to cuddle and feed her on demand every night. I usually wake up as soon as she does and so there’s no crying or disturbance at all.

@j010203t The lactation consultant at my pediatrician taught me about side lie nursing and the safe sleep seven when I told her we weren’t getting any sleep with him in his bassinet so 🤷‍♀️

@j010203t Not in the US. A pediatrician checked my baby at home after my homebirth. She came to our home, saw the sidecar crib being used as a giant nightstand, and laughed "I see we all use it the same way!"

@j010203t Yup. Telling my OB I was going to stay home when labor started. But it’s our children and they give their professional OPINION. Realizing your power and taking it back is so rewarding.

@j010203t I never told my kids first pediatrician. He used to criticize it a lot and lectured me when my kid wasn’t sleeping through the night by 6 months.
Luckily I changed doctors and love their current pediatrician, she is amazing! I have been able to be honest with her and she doesn’t care at all.

@j010203t Love this!
My son’s doctor (Canada, peds are specialized and referral only) shocked me actually! I was telling her how god awful his sleep was and she SUGGESTED I cosleep haha was like oh we already do 😂