I did it. I told my ped.

j010203t

He asked how my little one was sleeping. I was honest and said he nurses all night. I mentioned that he’s in our shared bed now.

He said, “Oh no!” My stomach dropped.

Then he told us, “Just as long as he’s out of your bed by high school.” 💀😂

Mind you, my little one is 15 months. We’ve been cosleeping since 6 months (when he outgrew his Snoo) and I’ve been terrified to mention it to our pediatrician till now. 😅 I appreciate how he handled it!

Anyone else finally tell their pediatrician they cosleep? (We’re in the US)

@j010203t I told mine right away and she didn’t care at all. She literally didn’t even comment on it, really - that’s how little she cared 😂. In all honesty, I think most people co-sleep and most peds are perfectly fine with it. It’s developmentally normal, as long as you are being safe.

@j010203t My husband is sweet and honest to a fault. I brief him before every ped appointment that when asked where does he sleep, we will say that "LO has a bassinet". He does have one, but he doesn't use it 🙃.

@hihi55 i said the exact same thing at our LO’s first official ped appointment when she asked lol. def gunna have to coach my husband if he ever gets to accompany us to an appointment lolol

@katrina2017 Are you in the US?
The amount of shame we’d get from our dr for being honest about cosleeping isn’t worth it.

It is very much frowned upon here and it’s easier to lie/avoid the topic than to listen to someone you trust tell you that you’re going to kill your kid - not an exaggeration either.

@duddleydoright4 Yes I’m in the us. If my pediatrician shamed me I would educate them on why I’m making the choice to cosleep. If they are disrespectful and uneducated I don’t want them as our doctor. That’s my mentality. I think being honest about it is important to change hearts/ minds about it.

@katrina2017 I 100% agree with you and we’re personally very lucky to have an excellent and open minded pediatrician but not everyone is as lucky so I do understand why some people hide it. In my area pediatricians can/will drop you from their practice for telling them you do it. It’s like you can’t win either way!

@duddleydoright4 Wow I feel like that’s so irresponsible and unethical of them. I hate it 😆 you’re right tho,
Some people have very limited options but I feel like most cities probably have at least a few doctors to choose from and I think it’s an important relationship to establish.

@katrina2017 Yep, I'm in the US, too, and I truly honestly wholeheartedly believe it's better to be honest about safe cosleeping. It's only one of the few steps we can take toward normalizing it.

@00sweetpea00 Yea I am sad that so many live in fear of being honest. Doctors should know that statistically this is happening way more than people are admitting. The best thing they could do would be to counsel people about how to do it safely.

@duddleydoright4 I'm in Italy and my pediatrician frowned upon co-sleeping because it makes the baby "dependent on touch" while the maternity department told me it was okay because the risk for death is less if you're nursing and a light sleeper. Also they showed me how to do it properly.

@nectarius Nearly downvoted by accident since my brain just went "nope, this is terrible". If your ped had a reddit I'd downvote them a thousand times though

@nectarius Yea I wouldn’t want to continue to get care from a person like that. It’s important to me to have a pediatrician I respect and trust. If not I don’t really see the point. Just my personal stance. I don’t want to be constantly at odds with them.