How do people afford kids????

@mercifulwoman More like how do you afford to have them just be born. It will cost us between $40k-$50k just to get pregnant with IVF and testing.

But there are always workarounds and we are getting through it!

@churchbuilder Because my salary is lower and that’s what makes or breaks it it’s worth it. If I stay home, we make less but wouldn’t be paying for childcare at all and I would get to spend time with our kid. If I don’t stay home we make more and basically break even on the cost of me working.. why wouldn’t I just stay home..? I’m quitting my current career to have a kid, I’m not quitting my current career to work a whatever job I don’t care about so we can pay a stranger to raise our kid.

@mercifulwoman I’m not. Working moms get dumped on with that comment a lot, it’s offensive. Most people who say it DO mean it.

But also, I feel strongly about equality for women, especially in the workplace. With combined finances, I’d think “daycare is a temporary expense that takes 10% of our combined HHI” rather than “daycare is a temporary expense that takes up 100% of my own income.” There’s way more to working than a paycheck - including compounding interest, 401k matches, upward mobility, progression opportunities, years in industry, insurance, etc. it’s frustrating that it’s mostly women who take the hit and quit, which continues the cycle. The more it happens, the more it will happen, if that makes sense.

This interactive calculator provides a glimpse into the potential loss than women (because this is mostly women who say “why bother working, it’s my whole paycheck!” And step back from their careers) face when stepping out of the workforce.

https://interactives.americanprogress.org/childcarecosts/

My husband and I made about the same annually when we started dating/talking about WTT and TTC. Since having my oldest, I’ve doubled my salary. I wish that childcare expenses were more often viewed as a shared expense, rather than an expense the woman is supposed to shoulder or a choice the woman needs to make.

@churchbuilder I don’t disagree with you. I think my response of ‘having a stranger raise my kids’ was from a place of anger at the inequality in the workforce for women in the US, not as an insult to working moms and I’m sorry it came across that way. I’m looking for jobs now and I’m finding that most are underpaid with little to no benefits and NO maternity leave. The difference for me than most is that my current career is over when I have kids and it’s not something I can even go back to, so I’d be starting entirely from scratch in a new career already. If working meant I’d stay in a job I currently have and enjoy, it would feel a lot different for me personally.