Happy Baby Carriers: schedules and colors, a guide

patriot46

I’ve gone deep into the happy baby carrierrabbit hole while trying to snag my first HBC to try with my upcoming baby (3 under 2 means that anything to help free my hands is worth trying!), and given that some of you here may not be members of the Facebook group I thought that sharing some information from there may be helpful. I’ve created labeled albums of all of the colors, as well as screenshots of information about current and future drops.

2021 Drop Schedule/Updates

happy baby colors part 1

happy baby colors part 2

@prudence21 I have tried multiple of these styled carriers (ergo baby, baby bjorn, etc) and the happy baby has been the easiest to put on and adjust and the most comfortable of all the ones I’ve tried. We love ours and I’ve been trying to snag a revolution (front facing) for forever now, but they’re hard to snag! Prior to their supply issues, things really weren’t this intense but I think because the demand is high it’s almost added more to the cult-like following because now they’re really hard to get so it’s generating a lot more interest than before.

@aleja I haven’t! I just recently heard of the Tula and have wanted to try it since the happy baby carriers have been so hard to get ahold of! My only hesitation is that they don’t seem as lightweight. I want a front facing option but I only have the happy baby original. I considered the Sakura bloom in the begging but ended up going with the HBC because I heard the Sakura can be harder to get on/off/tight enough because of the rings vs the buckles.

@prudence21 I bought into the hype and managed to snag one during the last drop... I think the majority of the hype (judging by the FB group) is around the colors and patterns. People go crazy (spending $400+ on a used carrier) to get specific colors. From my experience they are comfy and pretty, but not so much that they’re worth this crazy hype. I think there are other similar brands that do the job just as well (Sakura bloom is one that comes to mind).

@nhla2 Sakura bloom literally copied their design for the OG and released the scout that’s why it’s so similar. SB onbuhimos are great but the scout with the fucking loop belt is annoying. HB gets huge points for quick ups. I can do an up in my HB in 15 seconds. I cannot loop an SB that quickly. Also adjusting the back clip on the HB while you’re wearing it is easy and for the scout it’s a PITA because it’s... also a loop. Beyond the copy cat design the changes they did make to the SB version of the OG sucks. Could not be bothered with it I would rather have a cheap ergo or a Tula than an SB.

@anw0001 Good to know! I don’t have a SB but have heard about them from others. The loop would be a pain in the ass. I struggle with the clip in the back of the HB as is with my wiggly toddler - I could never do a loop. Overall I’m glad I got one, but I don’t think I need any more.

@prudence21 Everyone just swears they are the most comfortable. I only know two people that own them. They are both very experienced baby wearers and swear by HBC. I tried to get on for my next kid. The resale on them is so high that I figured I could just sell it if I didn’t love it. That being said, they went so fast that I didn’t get one.

@prudence21 I was able to get one on the last drop and I love it! I’ve used some other carriers, and they are hard to use and not as comfortable. I felt the happy baby was way easier to use. I tried to get one, because I wanted to try it and I need something because we plan on starting to travel. I knew that if I didn’t like it, I could make my money back. I have no intentions of selling now. My girl now mows the lawn with me, we go for walks, and it will work so well with travel. I don’t understand the need for more than one different style though. I’d rather spend my money elsewhere, like on another trip!

@prudence21 I’ll be honest, I don’t have one yet so I don’t know. I think they’re pretty and several people keep saying they are super comfortable and make baby wearing easy so I just figure I’ll try to get one and then if I don’t like it it’s not like it will be hard to sell 😅

@prudence21 I really like mine. It was the easiest thing to carry and feed kiddo in when he was tiny. And, the sun hood is great for getting a fussy, overstimulated baby to nap while out and about. It's also the best looking carrier I've found. Like, I love my Lilebaby for hikes but if I'm trying to get a little fancy, it's nice to have something that doesn't look like athletic apparel.

The Sakura Bloom Scout is a similar concept, but it's more expensive and I don't know how I feel about having rings instead of a buckle. But once it's on, it should operate the same way in terms of feeding in the carrier.

@prudence21 I really wanted an onbuhimo and only a few places make them- I was ready to go right at drop time and didn’t have a problem getting the color I wanted (but I recognize that not everyone can be ready at a specific time without Internet issues), etc. I hope the hype lasts until we’re done with the onbuhimo and I can resell, but if I end up loving it I’d rather gift it to a friend who I know will use it anyway if anyone has a kiddo of appropriate age at that time!

Fwiw my baby is still a bit small for the onbuhimo but we took it around the block and liked it. Wasn’t a magic bullet. Still prefer my Tula or a woven wrap for now. But carriers are like shoes to me, gotta have different types for different situations- I’m excited to try it again when she’s sitting up fully unsupported! The onbuhimo (I’m on mobile so typing that out this many times is tough, auto mod haha) is a really simple, sleek design and super easy to get on and adjust. Plus it folds well and is quite cute. I don’t personally get the hype with different colors but I’m just the type to avoid having multiples of things with no real reason (cough please ignore the growing pile of wovens in the corner)

@anw0001 Yes it’s just the tiny little leather tag, which would be easy enough to not include. It might work to email and ask if they could remove the leather if I purchased one. I wouldn’t mind paying extra for that service. I’m honestly surprised they didn’t include any in the last drop. Plenty of people would still purchase without the leather tag.

Back