F the cult-like following of certain carrier brands (Happy Baby)

@immanuelsdottir BST groups for literally anything child related is ridiculous. I wanted to try some bamboo pjs for my son. Joined a bst because retail price of 20-30 is just too much for me regardless of “how long” your kid can wear them.

People will buy sold out prints just to resell to someone at a higher price. I’ve seen it in cloth diaper groups too. Thankfully the brand that I gravitate towards is very like strict in pricing the used and you can’t resell for higher than retail price.

@immanuelsdottir I just joined the group last week and have been losing my MIND!! Was hoping to spend >100 since I figured that was reasonable for a second hand carrier… bidding wars starting at $300!! Clearly we’re in a different tax bracket!! I had to hide the group from my feed cos the lingo and the emoji use was killing me lol

@immanuelsdottir I feel like the “MMAO” thing has started recently in the group, it’s so rare to even find one that is just “for sale”. Makes it really hard to buy and frustrating to see those prices go up and up.

@immanuelsdottir The HBC fb group is crazy. I bought a highly sought after color (Cake) in a website drop in 2021 and seriously have considered selling it recently based on the insane prices on the group, lol. I got two others (an onbuhimo and one for my husband) about four months ago just from their website because idc that much about colors 🤷🏻‍♀️ I can’t imagine paying SO MUCH money for a carrier - even if I think the Midnight RPC limited edition is rather droolworthy 😂

I also think they are full-stop hallucinating on their description of used items. They will post like “used with my two year old who loved being carried every single day of their life. EEUC - Basically new!” Bish please, get out of here.

@immanuelsdottir Soo... YES, 100%... and no, not really. Yes, some of the following is crazy. BUT somehow that goes for so many things that you wouldn't think - ie I tried to buy a baby blanket from the same company as our sleep sacks because we liked them and was absolutely shocked at what it would take to get even a used one. People love to buy and collect and you can't really fault the companies for that, although I will say that I will never understand that mindset and it is completely bonkers to me.

These things are also cyclical, when I first bought my HB they were completely sold out, but a few months later there was a big release and then there were some available for months in many colors.

And also, no. I bought both a HB & SB second hand through the official FB groups, and didn't pay anywhere near 80-90% for either in really great condition. I didn't look very long and just took one that popped up and looked decent in an OK color. Maybe it was because they weren't super popular neutral colors? Who knows.

Back