F the cult-like following of certain carrier brands (Happy Baby)

@ayodeji Thank you! I tried Integra, Connecta and Kahu as apron style carriers but the lack of leg padding upset my baby! I also didn’t like that the sun hood was not detachable and just flapped around when not in use.

@immanuelsdottir Yes! I innocently joined a B/S/T group for a carrier brand hoping to get a nice used sling to try— I’ve bought a ton of baby stuff in good condition used. Imagine my surprise when most slings were selling for over retail! It’s like they’re beanie babies or something.

@immanuelsdottir Ditto, I hate this Instagram influencer/ low supply/high demand/ waiting for product drops for baby clothing and gear crap that’s happening now. I had no idea this was a thing prior to having a kiddo. It’s super inconvenient and as far as I’m concerned clothing and some of these items are semi-disposable because kids are hard on things. I’d buy some of these items if they weren’t impossible to purchase, kids clothing and carriers aren’t and shouldn’t be collectors items.

@immanuelsdottir For some reason they always seem to be in high demand in the spring. Two years ago I went through multiple restocks that sold out in under a minute until I finally managed to get one. By the time by daughter was born in early fall the site was stocked with 10+ colors at any given time. If you really need/want one now, the facebook group normally has plenty of women who just like the thrill of the restock and will volunteer as your “cart buddy” to try and help you purchase one.

@cdf47 When people say sell out in less than a minute, do they mean in carts? Like, if you get it in the cart you have a few minutes to check out? I think that’s what you mean by cart buddy, but that’s ridiculously fast otherwise (and regardless)

@kilene Being in your cart doesn’t mean you’ll be able to checkout. I think it took me 3 restocks to get one and every time I set an alarm, logged on the second it went live, added an item to my cart, then it was gone. If a restock goes live at 9:00 and you go on the website at 9:02, nothing will be in stock in even add to your cart. It’s wild! The first time I tried to get one I thought there’s no way it could be that crazy and I would surely get one with both me and my husband logging on at exactly the time the site went live. Cart buddies is just the term the facebook group uses for people who will try to get a carrier in your preferred color for you. If you both manage to get one they will sell theirs. If you don’t get one they will ship you the one they got.

@immanuelsdottir Wow haha that is crazy!!!
Sakura bloom isn’t quite that bad. You can still get a gently used carrier in a not so rare color way for well below market price. I just got a flax linen Onbuhimo with leather for more than $100 off and it’s in great condition.
I do occasionally see people post “play condition” carriers for $200+ and I always am just flabbergasted at the audacity lol

@iklog Sakura Bloom isn’t that bad because that bubble burst about 3 years ago. Before then.. oof..
some of the prices were in the thousands for a sought after sling.

@immanuelsdottir This is making me feel better about the wrap cult I am in 😅. At least the official FB page doesn't do BST for used wraps, and usually used prices are less than retail ( except for rare models).

I did preorder one new that sold out within 3 minutes and was only available to certain group members (password protected) on their site.... That was a crazy experience.

Good luck!

@immanuelsdottir Personally I've never understood the fan following or paying over $100 for baby carrier.

I personally like Onbuhimo style, which is a waistless carrier.

I have an Ergo and it's okay, but I like my stretchy wraps, ring slings and I'm working on getting better with my woven wrap.

I like Natibaby from Poland. The shipping takes a while with customs and everything but the prices are reasonable and the prints are beautiful in my opinion.

@immanuelsdottir I see one in stock on their site. Did you just not like the color, or something?

I agree the cult is very disturbing. It was similar with the nugget. I though HBC solved their production issues but guess they ran into another. The carrier fits great for me and that’s why I love it.

@109550992 I actually like the colour but it is made of corduroy which will be way too hot for summer weather. Yeah, idk if I’m getting a big too conspiracy theory ish but then having multiple different breakdowns in production/manufacturing relationships does seem fishy.

Back