F the cult-like following of certain carrier brands (Happy Baby)

@puddintain Hmm maybe I can sell these thirsties diapers when I’m all done with them. They were damn expensive, but worth every penny, those things are ABSORBENT. One can dream

@leftout Apple cheeks are baaaaaaad for this, actually! Some lady was moaning on a group because she couldn't sell her (actually pretty cute) 7 year old used poop catchers for 1k for a small lot.

I almost fell out of my chair!

@leftout My friend is into the Rumparooz, and she's in a Facebook group where people pay HUNDREDS for a single pocket diaper in a sought-after print...

@leftout There are ebbs and flows.
In Australia Designer Bums and Alcmena have had some pretty crazy followings.

The market here is over saturated at the moment so you're pretty much giving away 2nd hand nappies. But those two were pretty crazy for a while.
Some WAHM makers get a bit like that too

@immanuelsdottir lol being in that Facebook group was a trip. I couldn’t even fathom the level of obsession and the number of carriers people had or the sale price of used carriers.

@heidi8 I understand collecting things that don’t depreciate much in quality/value with normal usage eg fountain pens, books, art etc.

But surely baby items are by definition not collector items as 1. babies grow out of things so fast 2. babies pee/poo/vomit on everything 3. normal wear&tear becomes a safety issue.

Makes no sense to me, though I am hoarding the outfit my baby wore in hospital/first week of her life.

@heidi8 YES!! The Facebook group blew my mind. I joined it thinking I'd find reasonable deals on used carriers. NOPE. It's literal bidding wars that sometimes end up being full retail price or more for used carriers! 🤯

@immanuelsdottir Some cloth diaper brands are the same way (and have proven repeatedly that these bubbles of high pricing don't last, so in 3 years when you're done with them you're unlikely to be able to resell for anything near the fortune you spent on used diapers!). And don't get me started on trying to buy wool clothes for kids ... I've found less popular/chic stuff that works just as well for us, because I don't have the patience or money for the endless b/s/t stuff.

Hope you find something that's comfy and reasonably priced soon!

@spartta …designer poop collectors lol

I actually like wool clothes for kids - but I knit them myself with machine washable yarn. Don’t think I’d pay retail price for casual wool stuff for kids.

@immanuelsdottir We love in a cold climate with kids that want to be outside all the time. Wool base layers and sweaters have been a lifesaver. We buy the washable stuff when it's on sale from H&M, or second hand homemade items. The "good" brands that seem popular around here are super expensive, even second hand. Wish I had the skills to knit our own!

@immanuelsdottir The restocks sell out in less than TWO minutes. If you're lucky, you get a reject color within the thirty minute mark. I had a C-section with complications and I had tried every carrier under the sun. Happy Baby was the only one that worked for me. I've paid thousands of dollars to be able to carry my baby because certain muscles atrophied during my pregnancy. I totally understand your frustrations. I felt exactly the same way. I gifted the OG carrier to my BIL, who lived with us until my baby turned 1. He helped out just as much as my husband and he knew how much that carrier meant to me. I cried when I gifted it because of all the memories that came with it, but he deserves those moments with his daughter. Mercari is how I snagged my toddler one.

Back