For those who have weaned before.

vl32

Ive been told over and over that when I’m done nursing I’ll get depressed. Does this happen to everyone? Is it inevitable even if you wean slowly?? I had some PPD and the thought of being depressed gives me such bad anxiety- what a vicious cycle. 🥴 my son is 21 mo and he still nurses 3/4 x a day.

@vl32 I never felt depressed when my son weaned. To the contrary, I felt like I was finally able to walk out of the exhaustion and brain fog. Looking forward to getting there with my current baby!

@devonevents Couldn't agree more. I was more sad about expecting to feel sad about the end that I realized I was fine and ready to be done with that chapter. I did take my time because I was able, took us about 2 months.

Nursing baby#2 now and while I'm soaking in the experience and enjoying the convenience. I also can't wait until baby doesn't rely solely on me to eat.

@devonevents Same here! Was super nervous about weaning but it was fine and no crazy hormone drop. It was sad to not nurse my son anymore, but it felt amazing to no longer pump and be able to sleep through the night again after 14 months.

@jltaylor196335 How did you do this? Wean at that age? My little girl is 16 months, I’m pretty sure there is just drops left of milk, I work 3x12hr shifts a week, don’t pump, nurse at night still 2-5 times, and when I’m home with little one. I’m trying to distract her but she is persistent and throws tantrums if I don’t give boob! Even in the middle of the night. We still co sleep after she wakes 12am in the crib.

@emehri Commenting as I would also like to know - 13 months also co-sleeping here and my baby firmly loves the boob and I am starting to think how to wean slowly 😅

@emehri I started around 12 months with night weaning first (no middle of the night feeds), then every few days, would drop one pump during the day, etc. over the course of 2 months bc i was terrified of being engorged/mastitis. I was lucky that i had a 3 month supply of milk in the freezer and my son basically lost interest in taking bottles as soon as we stopped nursing. The last two feeds i kept were the wake up and feed right before sleeping. It was easier to swap out the wake up feed since he was used to eating breakfast - the one right before bed was toughest but we changed his bedtime routine and that helped.

@devonevents Same. My 2nd I breastfed for 14ish months. I was happy to be done! My hormones balanced and I had my body back!!! Well partially… I was also in my 2nd trimester with my 3rd baby😂😂

@devonevents Yes! I’ve definitely had some emotional moments but I am feeling more like myself finally. We did it over two months, I’m on my last week and just doing once before bed every other night… but I started feeling the fog lift when I got down to 2-3x per day.

@devonevents We are still feeding but only 2-3 times a day now my baby is in nursery and I totally understand this comment. Perhaps the weaning blues will still come for me, but having cut back on feeding I do also feel like I’m walking towards the light and I can feel my positivity blooming. It’s so strange because I’ve been fairly indifferent about nursing - was so happy I could breastfed but it’s had its challenges and I’ve felt quite overwhelmed by not being able to bottle feed.

Maybe it’s because I can feel some semblance of normality coming back and I don’t feel as tied to my baby’s feeding whims? Anyway it feels good.

@devonevents Same here! I'll miss nursing and will be sad whenever I wean my second, which will probably be soon, but I don't remember feeling depressed when I weaned my first. I already had feelings of depression actually, and those lifted and I felt more myself after weaning. Which was fantastic!

@devonevents The brains fog finally lifting !!!!!!! It was glorious!!!! Two years of brain fog!!!

I will say I am having hormonal issues around my period not sure if it’s related to breastfeeding (happened 3 months post breastfeeding and never had issues in the past) but I’m also have period issues which my dr and I are working on. I’m also 40 so there’s other hormone issues at play here. (Like possible peri menopause)

Maybe talk you your doctor about your worries beforehand so you have a plan ?

@vl32 I had only been nursing once a day when I weaned my first and I definitely had hormonal mood swings. I compared it to the baby blues (first 2 weeks post partum) they were so severe. On the bright side it also only lasted about 2 weeks.