Don’t expect your babies to do things they haven’t been shown

@cph I just want to know how you made it 10 months without waving to your LO or clapping for them. 😂 My kids are 2 and 9 but it makes me wonder what silly little things I missed that they were “late” on!

@amber61597 Not sure I do stupid faces and dances instead which explained why she also likes to shake and wriggle a lot while laughing! I get in trouble all the time at dinner for making silly faces and having her crack up instead of eating her food

@cph I was always super worried about our first not hitting development milestones, but he would always do whatever it was the next day or so.

@cph NOTHING is linear when it comes to childhood development. Remember to relax and breath. These are just guidelines not hard and fast rules. If you’re concerned ask a pediatrician but this is all normal.

@cph That's wild that you just posted this because I read yesterday that most babies babble by 4 months and started freaking out that my 8 month old doesn't babble :(

My wife brought up this morning that maybe we should be babbling to her to help her get it since we usually just talked to her normally. We'll see what happens. We're doing the clapping now too!

@stevencwinters Hi, not to overly stress you, but if you're living in the U.S. and you have concerns, you might want to talk to your pediatrician about an Early Intervention Assessment.

They routinely do assessments and will let you know how things are going (and if she qualifies for EI). It could at the very least be helpful for your peace of mind, and if there's anything to keep an eye on, they can make sure she's set up for success. (Coming from a dad of a little one with a significant language delay.)

@cph You want to see some magic?

Play your child some atonal music.... Charles Ives "unanswered question" or anything by Philip Glass. They will be confused by it and give you the best perplexed faces. They have never experienced it before and will not like it.

@jb89 Thanks for the reminder! She was totally unfazed. Grabbed the speaker like usual and did her little knee dance ‘Ahh…Ahh…ahhh… ahhh!’ move. Will continue to expose her to it, I liked the difference between the typical music we play for her.
11.5 months

@cph Best thing I taught my daughter was “feet first” to learn how to get down (backwards) off the bed, couch or stairs (started around 6 months). I would show her by doing it myself and would repeat feet first (obviously want to teach her what ‘feet’ are as well in the process). Took a few days and a week to so to become an automatic but it’s helped tremendously to avoid hurting herself.

@cph I remember when my boy was about 2, probably younger? No idea it all mushes together

I got some cars for him to play with, put them in front of him and he just stared at me. I was confused...hey, you love cars! You're always pointing at them and rushing to see the bin lorry when you hear it, why are you not playing with your cars?

...oh. I haven't shown you how too.

@cph We were wondering why she was taking so long to start walking, then one day we turned to each other and were kind of like 'have we ever actually tried walking with her,.holding her hands or anything?'. No, no we hadn't. Started doing little bits holding her hands up and moving one foot at a time, before long she was much more steady and can now take up to 10 steps or more without any help. We get so wrapped up in just keeping her alive, fed, warm that we forget they need to be taught these things.

@cph To make you feel better, I think a reason it's easy to forget this is because the earlier milestones weren't demonstrated. Rolling over wasn't shown to them. They just did it one day.

Sure, you can help guide them into the first 6ish month milestones, but it's not really about demonstrating it by doing it yourself so they see how it's done.

After 6 months it starts to change to things that you can actually demonstrate, and they're starting to be able to mimic.

So it make sense that the first thought after "Oh no! They can't clap!" isn't to show them what clapping looks like. The first thought is to treat it like earlier milestones and find "hacks" online to get their bodies into the right positions or whatever so they do it on accident and then repeat.

@cph my 2 year old has been shown how to wave bye and hello since he was tiny... ONCE he saw me do that horrible "face wash" hand motion with the palm at my face... that is how he now waves.... oh well, :)