Baby registry items

joyful111

I’m a FTM. What are some registry items that are a must have and some I can skip? I know opinions can vary but find these and y’all’s input so helpful.

@joyful111 Love the baby Bjorn bouncer 🙌
Hushh portable sound machine. Out Hatch failed last year, so now we just have two of these.
Stokke Tripp trapp is worth it. We’re still using it for our 3.5 yo and got a second one for our newborn.

@simonjohn213 Yes and yes! They are very sturdy and ours still looks new despite being used and moved around a ton. Super easy to bring when traveling. We got it secondhand and will pass it along when we're done with it too.

@zermel Same about the babybjorn. I sold mine after my first but then ended up having a second and went with a cheaper option. Regretted it bc 1. It was a piece of crap and 2. It only worked until 20 lbs so he outgrew it fast. My second had silent reflux so we used the bouncer to feed him/keep him upright after a bottle…would have been so much better with a babybjorn

@zermel Also they hold up! My SIL handed hers down to us after two kids, it lasted through both of ours, and then I passed it on to a friend. Looked like new, apart from some minor fading.

@sls2labs I'm definitely going to get a Boon Trove this time, but I'll still use the Haakaa when it's convenient to have both boobs out. I used both a Haakaa and an Elvie Curve (like the Trove, but more expensive for some reason) last time, and while the Curve was more pleasant and convenient, I definitely got more milk in less time with the Haakaa.

@jayrashman Yes! I got the basic one last time because it was half the price and I didn't understand what was so great about having a cover when I was just going to transfer the milk to something else anyway. But I probably lost close to half the milk I collected with it, so I'll definitely be getting the upgraded version this time.

@joyful111 I say this with a very sweeping caveat that everyone is going to have their own opinion about must haves, etc. A lot of it just comes to things like lifestyle, space, budget, and personal preference. With that said: I have three kids. We live in an urban apartment, no stairs. We don't have a ton of space the way house-dwellers do (and have also moved several times over the past decade), so my personal preference was not to acquire a lot of items, generally speaking. Here's the stuff we never had for any of our kids and both my husband and I did not feel like we were missing out on anything critical/i.e. we survived without them without any major issues- they are also all things you could theoretically acquire as needed or borrow from a friend with older kids, etc.- I reiterate this because whenever I share this type of list people seem to react poorly- I am not trying to demean the use of any of these items and I'm also emphasizing that you can also start without them and add them in if you want them later down the road!
  • changing table
  • video monitor (we never used any monitor actually, with an apartment there wasn't any real need)
  • electric swing
  • specific baby playmat
  • specific marketed diaper bag
  • white noise machine
  • any smart gadget (Snoo, Owlet, smart changing pad etc)
  • rocker/glider
  • wipe warmer, pee pee teepees, butt spatula
  • baby and toddler-specific eating utensils for the most part (we just used stuff like spoons and bowls that we already had, but we did need to get special sippy water bottles for daycare)
ETA: And here were our must haves:
  • diapers (cloth, but we use disposable for overnights and two out of three of our daycares did not accept cloth)
  • clothes
  • sleep space, sheets, sleep sack
  • mattress protectors for all sleep spaces in the apartment
  • carseat
  • stroller
  • carrier
  • first aid supplies (such as saline solution, bandages, paracetamol, snot sucker)
  • breastfeeding and postpartum supplies for me, mom
  • a few muslins or rags around for burps, spit up, diaper changes etc
  • high chair or some way to have the baby at the table with you for solid foods, booster seat also fine
I personally found having a bouncer like the Babybjorn bouncer super helpful for the newborn phase, but you could totally live without it.

@relle25 Also an urban apartment-dweller, and really agree with this list. I also (controversially?) don’t like a big stroller because it doesn’t physically FIT anywhere (including lots of stores); I found navigating the city with a carrier and a backpack of essentials WAY easier.

Also fwiw those cotton flannel receiving blankets are the GOAT baby towel, and we still use them as post-shower hair towels, over a decade later!

@joyful111 If you are at all considering a floor bed, register for a full sized mattress instead of a crib. You’ll use it eventually but if you end up co sleeping at all (probably likely if breastfeeding), a full sized bed is really really nice.

@joyful111 I never had the need for a dockatot/snuggleme. We had a Babybjorn bouncer (highly recommend) so if I ever needed to put baby down he just went in there or on a playmat or just a blanket on the floor.

Back