Baby registry vs. sustainability

@brineheart One of my friends just asked for modern cloth nappies and gave examples of brands but emphasised she was interested in trying all sorts of brands. She then ended up with a huge variety of brands and was able to work out what style worked for her baby. She sold on the ones she didn't like an used the money to flesh out her stash with brands that worked. She was quite upfront about it.

@brineheart For us the biggest thing was honestly just putting less on our registry. And getting some of the big ticket things ourselves second-hand. High chair, infant tub, baby swing, crib, baby carrier, barely used cloth diapers. We got all of those free from friends passing them down. Halve the numbers for most things. E.g. - 6 sets of crib sheets? We’ve done fine with 3.

But there was also a lot we didn’t put on our list. No bottles (it can be so baby-specific). No bottle or wipe warmer (you don’t need them). Etc etc. US consumerism tells you that you need a trillion things and you really really don’t. And some of the “must-haves” can actually be dangerous or detrimental to development. I’m thinking of the dock-a-tot or baby containers (bumbo, swing, etc). Not to shame anyone who used/uses them, they can be okay supervised in small amounts (we used a swing sporadically), but they are definitely not the must-haves they’re made out to be.

One more thing - it was actually a huge relief to my baby-inept brother to specifically say “we want this keekaroo second-hand - here’s a link to a Craigslist post, make it happen.” If you have younger relatives in your life who want to do something for you, but don’t want to think, it’s perfect.

@transformed89 Love this.

And agree on resisting the "stuff" mentality... honestly you only need blankets and diapers for the first month and everything else is extra. Maybe not even blankets.

We found that Babies R Us and Target accepted lots of the stuff we didn't want as a return for credit. (I know Babies R Us is out of business now) It felt great to write a thank you and then turn around and get cash for that stuff that I never asked for to begin with.

For coworkers, they wanted to throw a shower, and we specifically asked for used books only and it was great.

@franciscovelasco Oh absolutely yes to the Target returns! You don't even need a receipt as long as it's something they are currently selling. I'd straight up return things to Target that I knew a relative had ordered on Amazon.

@brineheart I didn't have a baby registry. If someone asked to get us something we let them get us a book. We found "buy as you go" to be more sustainable. Also, we buy new clothes, because we completely wear them out - the kids each have a capsule wardrobe. Since we only get high quality, highly useful items, our space is uncluttered and it makes things less wasteful in the end.

To mitigate cost, close family/friends were given specific expensive items to buy. Honestly, the only stuff we've bought for the kids that cost more than $100 were two Tripp Trapps, a Doona, our single stroller (city tour lux) and double stroller (valco baby slim twin).

For what it's worth, with regards to baby carriers, I love the ergobaby original, and it costs $15 used. I have two used Ergobaby originals that I have used hundreds of times each. On the other hand, I own a Doona. Moderately granola, after all.

@strange1 Agree with buy as you go! Also, you have no idea how fast your kid will grow. Our baby just turned one and is wearing 18-24 mo. If we had pre-bought, the seasons for her clothes would have been way off.

@strange1
We found "buy as you go" to be more sustainable. Also, we buy new clothes, because we completely wear them out - the kids each have a capsule wardrobe. Since we only get high quality, highly useful items, our space is uncluttered and it makes things less wasteful in the end.

Agree with all of this. Even if you make a registry, you can minimize the clutter by not asking for things for future stages. Get to know your baby and what works for your household first.

My kid wears almost exclusively the same two brands because I know the sizing works and I can watch for sales and get a whole set that works together. They outgrow things all at once, and repeat. Makes dressing an opinionated preschooler now a lot simpler too.

@brineheart My dishwasher kinda sucks (leaves a detergent residue sometimes) so I don’t really use it for baby stuff. (I hand wash bottles/pump parts/these bags/baby spoons in a separate bin from the rest of my dishes—this is the advice if you are hand washing, but I know lots of baby stuff can go in the dishwasher.) I did get this bottle brush (link below), but I think if your dishwasher is more functional than mine you could wash them that way.

I also have Legendary Milk bags, which can be kind of easier to wash because the have a wider opening, but there is a plastic component to these and they don’t lend themselves as well to purées (I mean you could store purées in there, but you’d probably want to move to a bowl before serving, whereas with the haaka pouch you can use the attachment so LO can eat directly from the pouch).

I ended up building up a freezer stash during my maternity leave, so I have five sets of these (four people bought them off my registry and then I bought the Legendary Milk ones. I didn’t actually mean to put that many on my registry but I think a couple people didn’t check them off when they bought them) but I think if you were going to pump just enough for the next day, you could get one or maybe two sets for backup. Also now that I make purées in bulk, it helps to have that many

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Cle...V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1&th=1

https://www.legendairymilk.com/coll...ories/products/silicone-breakmilk-storage-bag

@moontan13 Hi, I’m Vetted AI Bot! I researched the Haakaa Silicone Cleaning Brush Baby Bottle Brush you mentioned in your comment along with its brand, Haakaa, and I thought you might find the following analysis helpful.

Users liked:
* Brush is durable and sanitary (backed by 10 comments)
* Brush cleans bottles and parts effectively (backed by 14 comments)
* Brush is versatile and useful for other items (backed by 3 comments)

Users disliked:
* Silicone bristles fall off quickly (backed by 7 comments)
* Does not clean bottles effectively (backed by 5 comments)
* Narrow end is too small for some bottles (backed by 3 comments)

According to Reddit, Haakaa is considered a reputable brand.

Its most popular types of products are:
* Breast Pumps (#3 of 23 brands on Reddit)
* Baby Nail Clippers (#1 of 3 brands on Reddit)
* Breast Milk Bags (#6 of 6 brands on Reddit)

If you'd like to summon me to ask about a product, just make a post with its Amazon link and tag me, like in this example.

This message was generated by a (very smart) bot. If you found it helpful, let us know with an upvote and a “good bot!” reply and please feel free to provide feedback on how it can be improved.