Baby registry items

@lannyk I have one from Skip Hop, though it’s a bit more pricey than I’d like. Definitely worth it imo, but you may be able to find other options at a better price too.

@joyful111 Baby bjorn bouncer is the best thing ever. And you do NOT need one of the fancy keekaroo or whatever diaper changing pads. I got one and it’s not worth the money at all and half the time we are just changing her on the bed anyway lol.

@joyful111 I really loved our sidecar bassinet and was so upset when she outgrew it! A mini crib is a great option too. You can keep them in your room longer or move the whole mini crib into their own room. The stokke trip trappe with newborn attachment was used every day from birth to probably a year. She now eats at her toddler tower, but I'm sure we'll go back to the kitchen table eventually lol.

We went with a lightweight travel stroller (Joolz aer) for every day and I love it still.

A stretchy baby carrier for the newborn days and a more structured one for as they grow. Tons of the popular brands are on fb marketplace for much cheaper!

Feeding: Glass bottles that double as snack jars, silicon reusable milk freezer bags that double as homemade pouch containers, 2 oz mason jars for purées and now sauces.

Skip or accept borrowed/used to see if you need it: swaddle types, wipe warmer, bottle sterilizer, swings, clothes, sleep sacks, and probably more. We didn't miss any of those single use appliances though.

@joyful111 Skip bottle and wipe warmers. You don’t need to warm those things just leave them the temperature they are.

Skip bottle sterilizer. You don’t need to sterilize bottles just wash.

Skip diaper pail. It’s an overpriced trash can with a lid.

Skip infant loungers. It’s a freaking pillow and hazardous for their health anyway.

Skip baby clothes. So easy to get used and people will dump baby clothes on you. Skip toys and books for the same reason.

Skip baby mittens and socks . Just a fundamental waste of your time, not good for their development. Just don’t use.

Skip cribs. When they’re that old just do Montessori floor bed.

——

Definitely get something to wear your baby in. Ideally a stretchy wrap. Baby wearing is just about the most useful skill you can have. Yes there is a learning curve with the wrap but it’s worth it.

@joyful111 Must haves (for us) have been:
- baby booties: love the burt's bees ones with the snaps, use every day and they don't come off like socks
- footie PJs/"sleep and plays"
- winter car seat cover (we live in a cold climate and baby was born in fall)
- baby carrier: stretchy wraps are good for newborns, but i started using a Happy Baby carrier around 1mo and still using it at 6mo. the Beco Gemini is another good option that's more affordable
- philips agent glass bottles and size 1 nipples: we breastfeed, but had to supplement for awhile. and now we bought the straw cup conversion kit for these bottles.
- stroller that has a bassinet/pram mode (we got a "mompush" brand from amazon and an organic cotton bassinet sheet to put over the base)
- sleep sacks
- cloth diaper covers and cotton "prefolds" to use as inserts: we didn't start cloth until 3 months and i was very skeptical about it, but now at 6 months I absolutely love cloth diapers and wish we started earlier
- breast pump: we had bf issues initially and the pump was necessary to keep supply up and supplement while we worked on patching
- basic vinyl portable changing pad
- basic burp cloths
- warm fuzzy bear suit for winter walks
- organic cotton stuff toys. not necessary but just cute and babies put EVERYTHING in the mouths and I feel better about him chewing on organic cotton vs random plastics etc

skip:
- swaddles (we ended up cosleeping, and swaddling isn't safe for cosleeping)
- snuggleme lounger: literally never used this, my cats liked it tho
- changing table/stationary changing pad: never used this, we prefer to change diapers on the floor or couch or wherever, on a towel or the vinyl pad mentioned above
- mostly everything hahaha. didn't use silverettes or nipple ointment, i never leaked so didn't need pads and haakaa was useless. haven't yet used a bassinet, crib, or pack n play.

@joyful111 Also - tons of footie pajamas - 2 way zippers, NO SNAPS. Muslin burp cloths (you will go through these sooo fast each day so get like 20 of the smaller ones) hatch sound machine, frida booger picker, frida windii

@joyful111 This is going to be very dependent on your lifestyle, your particular baby, and your particular postpartum period. It’s hard to say beforehand how it’s going to go. Certain things people told us were must haves (white noise machine, blackout curtains, bibs, breastfeeding pillow, postpartum recovery items, teething rings, baby monitor, wet/dry bags, water play mat) we didn’t use for months or didn’t use at all. Other things people told us weren’t needed (bottle sanitizer, formula maker, infant car seat, dedicated diaper changing area, wearable breast pumps, fancy stroller, rear view mirror for her car seat) we either used to tatters or made an “emergency” purchase within the first month.

My advice is source things you may or may not need as cheaply as possible, and keep it minimal. If you get gift cards, you can buy whatever else you need after the baby is born . Put the things you definitely need and need to buy new on your registry.

Things you absolutely need:
  1. A way to feed your baby. If you aren’t opposed to combination or formula feeding, have a few bottles and a couple of days worth of formula you are comfortable with. Phillips Avent and MAM are recommended bottles for breastfeed babies. We used como tomo bottle which were easy to clean and pack in a bag. You want to buy the nipples new.
  2. A place for your baby to sleep. A crib, pack n play, or bassinet. We had a snoo which was overkill for us. A crib would have worked fine since we got up and out of bed and took her to the living room to not disturb the other person or accidentally fall asleep anyways. I prefer a crib to pack n play because bending all the way to the ground several times a night. You want to buy the mattress new.
  3. A way to get your baby places. If your baby will be taking a car places regularly. I like the Chicco Keyfit 35 infant car seat. It’s super easy to install and switch between cars if you only want to buy one seat for everyone who drives the baby around. If you don’t have a car, a Cosco Scenera is cheap for when you need to take a Taxi or get a ride. It’s harder to install, and I wouldn’t want to use it for daily rides though. You want to buy your car seat new.
Things I’m really glad I had or purchases shortly after birth:
  • bottle sanitizer with dryer, as I ended up pumping.
  • formula maker, as we combo fed and it was a fast way to make a 50/50 bottle in the middle of the night for me husband.
  • a fancy stroller (Uppababy) with a safe sleep basinet. If you don’t have to climb stairs, you can roll your sleeping baby straight from your walk to your bedroom and park them there for a nap. We walked for a couple of hours a day the first few months, so a stroller that could handle terrain and also carry groceries was important.
  • A bouncer. Mine has FOMO and would scream if you laid her down and she couldn’t see what was going on. It gave me 10 minutes to eat with both hands before she fell asleep and had to be picked up again. We just got a cheap one off Facebook marketplace.
  • A BABY CARRIER. Mine HATED being put down. She would scream. It was terrible and overwhelming. I had a Moby wrap that was too complicated. I had an ergo baby carrier that was too hard to put on and too restrictive for her. The Konny Flex (similar to a Ktan) was a good in-between.

@joyful111 I recommend getting things second hand where you can, and registering for things that are not as easy to find second hand or things you need to buy new.

Things I love and would register for:
-stokke Tripp trapp
-Happy Baby Carrier
-Bonsie baby sleepers
-Tubby Todd All over ointment
-earth mama diaper balm
-Kyte sleep sacks
-infant car seat
-convertible car seat
-Lovevery play gym
-glass bottles
-a variety of diapers
-postpartum supplies
-burp cloths
-electric nail trimmer
-solly crib sheets

Things I love and got second hand:
-Solly baby wrap
-halo bassinet
-baby bjorn bouncer
-bassinet stroller (found an old uppababy for a very good price)
-clothes

Back