Baby registry items

@katrina2017 I agree with this. Had a snuggle me which I only kept on the sofa for those early newborn days but it’s definitely not necessary if you have the Bjorn bouncer.

@katrina2017 Our dockatot saved my sanity. I had a barnacle baby who would SCREAM if set down on the ground. Our bouncer wouldn’t fit in the bathroom and even when we did use it she would fall asleep almost immediately and I’d have to take her out. Our dockatot was how I was able to shower until 7 months when she started climbing. Everyone’s must haves are so different.

@joyful111 FYI, Esty now has baby registries, which is great if you want unique items for your baby! You can do it in addition to a target/ amazon/ babylist registry.

One of my friends just made one and she has the cutest stuff on there I wouldn’t have thought to buy for her otherwise! Cute little newborn bonnets and organic cotton pacifier clips, etc.

People are going to buy baby hats, blankets, etc., so it’s nice to be able to register for ones that are made with material you want, instead of stuff filled with plastics (a lot of “baby” yarn is acrylic 🙄)

@joyful111 If you plan on bottle feeding, I really like the Life Factory glass bottles- they fit Dr Browns nipples and are very easy to wash. Kind of expensive but I preferred glass (which didn’t end up mattering as my baby won’t take any bottles anyway lol). If you are going to try breastfeeding, silverettes and some lanolin nipple cream are very helpful. These were the things that I most used off my registry:
- Hatch sound machine
- Pack and Play with bassinet insert (used this until he hit the weight limit of 15lbs, then switched to crib)
- Skip Hop silicone changing pad (the crinkly sound of the plastic covered foam pads drives me insane, but those are much cheaper and easy to wipe down if you leave off a fabric cover)

@joyful111 I am more on the silky side of moderately crunchy, so my exact recommendations may not be to your taste. I don't know if there's a best of any of these categories, but I get the most use out of:
  • Must have: A car seat (choose one that you feel comfortable with, consumer reports is really useful for this imo) --- we have Peg Perego Primo Viaggio Nido in wool, it's alright but it's a bit heavy and took a while to install (which might just be a ftp thing), wouldn't recommend it or against it, it gets the job done but doesn't fit many strollers
  • Very nice to have: A stroller --- you can't use this one without attachments until they're 6 mo, but I really like my Babyzen Yoyo. One thing I wish I did was get a stroller that the bucket seat clicks into. I was really worried about spending too much time in car seats, but it is really a huge hassle to lug a bassinet stroller with you everywhere.
  • Not necessary for everyone: A snow suit --- this depends on your climate, we like our Reima
  • Very nice to have: A soft rug, foam mat, or something like it --- this makes tummy time much better, choose one that you feel matches your values (eg non-toxic, eco friendly, whatever)
  • Very nice to have: A play gym --- we have an Infantino, not the most granola option but it's cute
  • Very nice to have: Somewhere for you baby to sit when they start eating solids --- we got the Stokke Clikk, it's alright, if I could have afforded the Tripp Trapp I would have gotten that; I might try a montessori weaning table when he's walking
  • Not necessary for everyone: Bottles --- also not very granola but we ended up with Dr. Brown's Options Narrow because my baby was in the NICU and that's what they used; Life Factory did not work for us (lots of bubbles), I got a Chicco Duo and an Elhee that I never ended up using because my wife didn't want to change things up
  • Not necessary for everyone: I can only speak to formula because I never even produced colostrum in spite of pumping 8 times a day for 2 weeks straight --- we use Similac Total Comfort made in Europe for Singapore because I trust European manufacturers more than the American ones (even if it's Similac) but don't trust the grey market shippers of formulas like Hipp, Holle, Lebenswert, etc. Formula if you need to or want to use it is very personal and the best I can say is give 2 weeks between switching formulas before you decide that the new one isn't working.
  • Not necessary for everyone: If you decide to pump, I used both an Ameda hospital pump and a Spectra S1, they both worked fine, but it's easier to get 3rd party interchangeable parts for Spectra
  • Not necessary for everyone: Bassinet --- we liked our Halo Swivel, we also had an attachment to our Baby Jogger City Sights that he slept in a bunch before he started rolling; that being said, he prefers his crib which is an Ikea Sniglar with an Avocado Mattress in it
  • Very nice to have: Dishwasher basket for bottle parts or teething toys or whatever --- we need this as exclusive bottle feeders, idk how useful this is if you exclusively breastfeed without pumping
  • Must have: Burp Cloths! --- OsoCozy size 7-25 lb flat diapers are fantastic for this, we have approximately 20
  • Very nice to have: Pack and Play --- we have a Guava Lotus with a sunshade that he sleeps in at his grandparents' house when they babysit, it's nice that it folds up small, but it takes a bit of elbow grease to get it into the bag
  • Very nice to have (arguably Must Have, but maybe you want to EC, idk): Diapers --- we started out in cloth (AIOs and Pockets) and I discovered that I really don't like those type of systems and ended up changing to disposables, we don't really use a very granola option, but we've had no blow outs and only 2 leaks in 6 months in Rascal and Friends (these aren't TCF, which can be a deal breaker for some, but they fit our budget and they work really really well)
  • Very nice to have: Squatty potty --- I had a cesarean, but no matter how you give birth, the pooping postpartum is hard, this makes it a little less painful
  • Very nice to have: Stroller fan --- I used this mostly when I was in labor and it was soooo helpful
  • Very nice to have: Soft sided mirror that attaches to the headrest of the seat your car seat is attached to --- I like to see how my baby is doing when I'm at a stop light
  • Very nice to have: Sleep sack --- we have woolino and it's magic, he sleeps significantly worse without it
  • Not necessary for everyone: Swaddle --- my baby didn't take to any swaddle, but I know it's indispensable for others
  • Must have: Wet bag --- this is for diapers and soiled clothes when out and about. I like it because it's washable and less wasteful than disposable bags, and it keeps the smells in, we have the Bum Genius outing bag
  • Must have: Postpartum hospital pjs --- you might already have these! But get something you don't mind bleeding on, that is comfy, and high waisted in case you have a c section
  • Very nice to have: Adult diapers --- you could use the pads by the hospital, but I found that they were not big enough and the adhesive was not sufficient
  • Must have: Barrier cream or diaper rash cream --- we have aquaphor 3 in 1 and Triple Paste Triple Max (?), I like the triple paste better
  • Must have: Solid feeding implements --- we like to use silicone, the brands we've used are weesprout, munchkin, ezpz, and olababy. I've been eyeing the ahimsa set for when he starts using forks.
  • Must have: A thermometer --- need I say more? Ours is safety first brand I think, but as long as it's a reliable brand it's probably ok. We get the axillary temp.
Things that are unnecessary for my registry in my opinion:
  • Diaper cream spatula --- I think people exaggerate how hard it is to get diaper cream off your hands
  • Bassinet --- my baby likes his crib way better, but I can see why a bassinet would be more useful if breastfeeding and following official sleep recommendations.
  • Footie pajamas --- we prefer ours to be barefoot during tummy time.
  • A bathtub thermometer --- I use the inside of my wrist, if it feels uncomfortably hot, I turn down the temperature
  • Clothes for the baby in general --- even if you register for very specific clothing (literally all I wanted I put on my registry), no one will get it, but they will get you a ton of clothing that isn't to your taste. At least that's my experience lol

@joyful111 We really liked our swaddelini. My baby escaped from all types of swaddles that we tried except for that one. The bamboo is my favorite bc it's super soft.

Diapers we do mainly cloth now but when we use disposables we used Honest when she was tiny and now use Coterie.

We use the Little Unicorn cotton muslin swaddles blankets a TON. Not as swaddles, but as regular blankets. Our baby likes to pull them over her head while she contact naps and I like that they're so thin and breathable. Obviously, they don't go in bed w her. Just when we are holding and watching her. We also use them on her stroller when it's sunny to block out the sun but still get her fresh air. And sometimes we use them on the floor instead of her play mat.

@joyful111 I got almost everything handed down or secondhand. So making it known that you want hand me downs is super helpful because in my experience people are super happy to pass on stuff both to help and to get it out of the house! You then get things you didn't know you wanted (ie a fisher price swing. I would not want to buy that or own that but someone passed it on to us and it ended up being super helpful)
The only thing I ended up buying new was a tripp trapp chair because they last forever so no friend was done with theirs, they sell like hotcakes on marketplace so none was available when I needed it, and we tried a hand me down peg perego for a few weeks but my LO was screaming in it every meal (she was too small for it and couldn't bend her knees over the edge) so I really needed something that made her more comfortable/had good foot support. It was a gamechanger.
Also cannot say enough about the babybjorn bouncer. Perhaps my favorite baby item!!

@joyful111 Babybjorn bouncer for sure! Honestly we didn’t swaddle after the first week so swaddles are up to you. Would have been useless for us. But I do use the nicer ones as spit cloths now! We got the bugaboo giraffe high chair, which is newer, but is so amazing. We have really been enjoying a lovevery subscription, and while some people say the first few months aren’t worth it, I think they totally helped my baby become an early roller and crawler!

@joyful111 Baby carrier to wear your baby. It is the most consistently used item since birth to now 9months later for us! And I used my yoga ball all through pregnancy and still use it! I love my twelve little cross body diaper bag. Im a light packer so it’s all i need day to day.

Also, i never planned to co sleep but it ended up being the safer option for us. I bought us a firm mattress but i wish i would have put a non toxic firm mattress on our registry to get the mattress i really wanted when people are willing to go in on gifts and splurge on you and baby.

Going back in time, i also would have added non toxic, non silicone, lead free baby water bottles, plates, and utensils to the registry. 6months flies by and soon you realize you have no baby dishes to start solids on lol

something i wish i would have gotten for myself sooner, very soft, baggy, cute design, button up, long sleeve, pj sets. It’s just nice to have something that i feel semi cute in but is comfortable, easy to breast feed, and keeps my arms warm since they are always out of the covers if co sleeping or breast feeding in the night.

I got the hatch and a portable white sound machine and my baby doesn’t like white noise. She prefers actual music so those two are skips for me but every baby is different! I would suggest maybe using your phone for white noise before investing in the hatch.

Things we used a lot at first but now are fairly useless 9month later: angelcare bath, lovevery playmat, any sort of dock a tot , baby bjorn bouncer

Things we’ve repurposed: i still use swaddles as light blankets and drool rags. She doesn’t really spit up as much but with teeth coming in she’s slobbery. I use her bassinet as a toddler tower lol. She loves to help in the kitchen so she stands in it up to counter next to me and i give her some utensils to play with.

@joyful111 I didn’t make this post but would recommend very similarly. I’m even expecting a second baby and built my own nontoxic firm mattress for our second room because no one is throwing us a shower and they are so expensive.
We use a stainless steel Munchkin cup- the lid is silicone. You could also go with stainless steel straw cups. We also use small mason jars as cups- you can get a silicone sleeve for them if you want. Any stainless steel plates/bowls/spoon design was fine with me-I ordered plates with 3 sections and wooden bowls we found at Trader Joes.
I’d add on
-some childproofing items. There are outlet plates that have a sliding mechanism so you don’t have to remove the plastic stopper every time you want to plug something in. -A baby first aid kit including the Fridababy nail clippers

@joyful111 Wheat straw plates have been a lifesaver for us! I started with silicone but couldn’t stand the way they never seemed to get truly clean and always had the smell of food or dish soap on them. I also have the ahimsa set which I like (and LO is obsessed with their little spoons) but it’s a lot of $$$$ compared to a reputable brand of wheat straw dishes/cups/bowls

@maddieh567 My 9mo baby is 25lbs and on the move! She has zero desire to stay on a small mat and she is over the weight limit for the bouncer! Plus hates to be restricted like that anyways.i do put the mat out still like on the lawn or even our walk way when she wants to play out there. She just will not stay on it.

@joyful111 Things you can skip that are on a lot of must-have lists:

•A bassinet. A newborn can sleep in a crib. If you really want a bassinet, get one that's approved for overnight sleep for your stroller.

•A changing table. Put a changing pad on a dresser and add wall shelves above it for additional storage.

•An infant (bucket/capsule) car seat.

Thing you shouldn't skip even though people will tell you it's unnecessary:

•A dedicated diaper pail. No, the simple human one you already have in your bathroom does not work just as well.

@joyful111 Get a wipeable changing pad! Way easier clean up. And it’s not just poo that’ll get on the changing pad, your baby will constantly spit up while you change her/him and being able to swipe it off is a game changer.

Back