Anyone else experience this?

bernard222

I've been on birth control for 7+ years straight. In 2010 my dermatologist put me on YAZ birth control to help with awful acne issues. YAZ contains progestin drospirenone (3.0 mg) and a low dose of the estrogen ethinyl estradiol (0.020 mg). YAZ was then changed to the "knock off brand" MYA which is the same hormones (same sh*t different label). YAZ and MYA are considered a strong dose birth control, more so than you'd see in other brands of birth control.

My concern with this pill is that i do not get a period. It started with just lighter periods and eventually turned in to no period at all. I went over two years with not even spotting. I've brought this up to my doctor several times in which he says "if you're not concerned you'll get pregnant without knowing, then i'm not concerned". I asked him if this would affect my fertility when we start ttc in 2019 and he said "it might, it might not. We won't know till you stop taking it and stop trying". He also said "you're messing with mother nature"

Everyone i've talked to about this have voiced their concerns that i'm messing up my body and chances to get pregnant and it's un-healthy to not have a period. I was told "you probably can't even have babies now".

I personally don't know anyone who has had this happen irl. Anyone else experience this while taking birth control?

@elisha_buffet Agreed.

About 20% of women on Mirena stop menstruating altogether (I'm one of them). Every ob/gyn I've been to has said it's not a concern from a medical standpoint (unless I feel uncomfortable with it, in which case we could change birth control method), and, after all, Mirena was FDA approved knowing full well about 20% of women not menstruating whilst on it.

Usually on a birth control pill the only reason still having a period is 'recommended' is to account for improper use. Aka, people who have food poisoning, vomit up the pill and then don't use precautions. Or who take antibiotics with the pill and don't realise they can interact etc. Basically, it can be a mental relief to go 'Yup! Definitely not pregnant!'. But it's also not necessary.

Messing with Mother Nature my arse. Without medical intervention I'd have been dead as an infant. Fuck that noise. From a doctor no less!!

@janimelody Thanks for posting this! My PA told me that it was 20% of women with mirena still get periods, but I just looked it up and you are right! It is the other way around!
I have been thinking that I am still getting periods because I am too fat or there was something wrong with me, but no, just average!

@elisha_buffet I asked if he was okay with me not getting a period and he said "i'm not really okay with it cause you're messing with mother nature and naturally you should be having one but if you're okay with it then i'm okay with it" which wasn't the answer i was looking for when asking for medical advice! I'm no doctor!! Lol

@anw0001 I know... I said it was a snap judgement, and I did not mean to offend. I twas based off the many articles I've read on reproductive health care. I don't think its all people in those states... but I think that those two states get a lot of press for their government, and some HCP's, stance on women's healthcare access and rights.

@bernard222 I was on hormonal birth control for about ten years- six of the pill and four with a mirena IUD. I didn't have a period for about the last five years. Took it out, had a period 24 days later. My next was 28 days later. Ever since I have had quite regular 28-30 day cycles.

YMMV of course, but I think using birth control until you're ready to have a baby is an intelligent choice. The bleeding on the pill isn't really a true period anyway, but a withdrawal from the hormones during the placebo week. Everything I've ever read (from reputable sources) has said this is safe.

@mrsz I'm glad to see other women with the same thing! I don't know anyone in my personal life who has had this happen and the comments from my doctor wasn't reassuring but i appreciate your comment!

We're a double contraception couple (HBC and rubbers) and i plan on staying on birth control from now until 6 months before we start trying! And in that 6 months my plans are to use condoms still till and try to track my ovulation, temping and all that fun stuff!

@bernard222 It's super common! That comment from you doc is sort of weird. I'd just take it as your typical doctor with no tact remark. I mean, yeah, any time we try and alter our body with anything- medicine, surgery, diet and exercise, etc- we run the risk of making unintentional changes. I think that's all that means. I think he just phrased/delivered it poorly.

I think your plan is super smart. We did the same thing- took out my iud a few months before we wanted to start trying. It was really nice to have six months of getting to know my body again off HBC and having time to regulate with no pressure.

@mrsz Thanks! 😁 glad my plan is decent! Learning fertility apps, temping and using opk's will probably take me 6 months to understand anyways ahaha seems confusing!