Annoying comments about my son being small

@pentie2003 My first child was 6.5 lbs, born at 37 weeks via failed induction and emergency c-section. He’s 5, and in the 5th percentile for height and always has been. Sometimes l’ll say something stupid to make people feel awkward about their comments on his height. Something like “what? You don’t think Mr.ToneZone is the father?” But my go-to line is “isn’t it great? We’ll always be able to find him in class photos, since he’ll be holding the sign!” It is what it is. I don’t have the bandwidth to care what other people think. I’m sure your child is perfect!

@pentie2003 My son was a preemie and has 2 boy cousins that are 2 months older and 2 months younger than him. The mom of the older one never brought us the size differences between them bc she could tell how scared I was of him being so tiny even though he was born so early. The mom of the younger one constantly sent me her sons stats and asked for my sons as well. I just ignored those messages from her but they bothered me so much. Mom of the older cousin always told me the kids are the sizes they are. We have no control just let them be. If the dr raises a concern then we figure out what to do but until then we live and ignore peoples weird obsession with comparing kids. I flat out ignore people's comments and won't respond even in person if they don't take the hint and keep pushing I say he's perfect for him we're not worried.

@pentie2003 Your son will get there, don't let them get to you. I know because I've heard all my life how small and thin I was when I was a child. Yes, i was very small and thin but because genetics... My mom was very small and thin too... And now my daughter that is 2 she IS SMALL AND THIN. (Surprised Pikachu face). My mom is 5'7", I'm 5'1" because my dad is smaller than my mom no matter how much he denies it lol. My husband is 6"1"...so, I know my daughter is going to get taller once she will be a teenager.

@pentie2003 My son is 3 and has always been small for his age. He’s in the 3rd percentile, so can’t get much smaller lol he gets mistaken for a twin with his 1 year old brother often because they are about the same height.

We went for lots of tests because of this as doctors were worried he wasn’t growing properly. Finally we met with an endocrinologist, and they needed a bunch of background info from us including when my husband and I and our parents/siblings went through puberty and our heights and a bunch of other info and the way they explained everything to us was really helpful.

So they can scan the bones in your hand and even though you’re say 35, your “bone age” might only be 25. Or vice versa, your bone age might be 45. People with a younger bone age are people who would have gone through puberty later because their body didn’t think it was old enough to go through puberty until later in life whereas someone who went through puberty earlier, their body might think they are older than they actually are. My husband and I both went through puberty much later than our friends.

So likely our son will be the same way. Even though he’s 3 now, his body might think he’s only 1.5 or 2. It’s doesn’t mean he will be short when he’s fully grown, it might just take him longer than his peers to get to his final height.

Whenever someone comments on how short he is, I always just say something like “so?” Or “why does that matter?” And it’s very entertaining watching them stumble over their words trying to explain that it doesn’t matter. You could also say “ya he wants to be an astronaut so he can’t be too tall”

We just want to teach our son that height doesn’t matter so we don’t let people’s comments get to us and we will be teaching him to not let it bother him

@pentie2003 My nephew always was short for his age. At 4 years age, he was diagnosed with celiac disease. When they are this small, it's difficult to figure out pathologic symptoms. He had to throw up often and had a bloated stomach most of the time. But until the diagnosis, it was blamed on him eating too much. ... but... well I guess, there are also just smaller kids, without anything wrong about them, that's probably even more likely. Don't let their " narrow mindedness" get to you. Comparing kids like this is very unhealthy and unnecessary. If you can, try to ignore it.

Back