5 year old step son keeps kicking 32w wife in stomach

slingingshot15

Hey all,

Just looking for some advice and wisdom.

My 5yo stepson can have a real mean temper on him and frequently lashes out at his mother, recently he's discovered the easiest way to get his mother to leave him alone is if he boots her in the stomach.

I was upset the first time, but over the weekend this has happened 3 times now. I've tried sitting down and talking to him about it, early bedtimes to calm down, removing toys as punishment, etc.

Last night was a bad one and I explained to him why it's wrong and what to do should he find himself getting upset and we left it all on good terms ready to start a new day...

... and then again first thing this morning came to find my wife crying on the sofa because he had did it again. I'm really unsure what to do.

Thanks for reading.

@slingingshot15 Discipline him.

He knows it’s wrong, he doesn’t need conversations but he needs firm boundaries.

Edit: obviously he still needs love and affection too, it’s not one or the other.

@userischris It sounds like he actually needs emotional connection. Quality time with the parents, and validation for his clear feelings of jealousy towards his sibling to be.

@johnlittleelm I mean the conversations have already happened, the kid knows what he’s doing is wrong.

Of course there’s emotional reasons behind what he’s doing, but he needs to learn that there’s acceptable ways to express emotions and there’s unacceptable ways. And unfortunately, children simply don’t understand beyond their own wants and needs at that age.

Consequences need to be put in place now. It’s a safety problem and soft parenting, as great as it is for some, doesn’t sound like the right strategy here.

@slingingshot15 It's a very hard time for a child to get a half sibling. They have very real fear that they will no longer be loved.

I really don't have great advice on how to go about helping your wife and child but maybe look into some family therapy to start helping to navigate this and help your eldest feel secure in his place.

When I was a child, I literally had adults tell me that my dad wouldn't need me anymore because he was starting a new family. So you never know what's been put into 5s mind. It could just be bad behaviour. Or it could be more complex.

@snowlucario That's an awful thing to have people tell you. Going off other comments and your own I'm going to spend more time involving him in the preparations and just in general keeping him happy in the knowledge that he'll always be loved and a part of the family.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. 🙂

@slingingshot15 Do you have access to child psychologist? There is some questionable advice in this thread just like most Reddit threads.

Something this serious needs to be taken seriously. The jealously isn’t going to stop when your baby is born and you will have additional risks given how fragile and delicate a newborn is. Plus, you and your wife will be on so much less sleep to deal with this issue.

My immediate advice is not to discipline a child for feeling jealous. Not just because he’s not the baby, but because he’s also a half sibling. As others have said, try your best to give him the attention he’s asking for understanding his situation. He’s acting out because he has a need that was being met, but is no longer being met.

In my opinion, any discipline you give now will be met with resentment and more acting out. But again, like most people in this thread, I am not a child psychologist. Just a new parent trying their best.

Best of luck! You’re a good parent and husband for trying to solve this for your family.

Back