34 Weeks Doppler scan says Twin A at 2.2Kg and Twin B at 1.58kg. Should we be worried?

puckharist

Twin A is 2.2Kg i.e 4.85 lbs and Twin B is at 1.58kg i.e. 3.48 lbs. Anyone had similar stats? Should we be worried? We are planning c section at 37 wks 0 days.

@puckharist Only your OB/MFM team can tell you because it will depend on a number of factors not just the size discordance.

My di/di boys started developing a weight discordance around week 32 and my MFM basically told me we will keep them in as long as IUGR twin’s cord flow isn’t compromised and he’s still growing and not stalling. I ended up being induced at 36+2 and delivered at 36+4 because he was showing reverse cord flow.

@puckharist You can always call your care team now and ask to have someone explain the report to you. In my experience when something was wrong the MFM doctor saw me before I left the ultrasound to talk through the results.

@puckharist What kind of twins are they? My DiDi were massively different even from 6 weeks. My boy was always 2 weeks ahead. They were didi so it didn’t really matter in terms of TTTS.
Mine were 36.6 weeks and were 5lb1 and 7lb2!

Has there always been a difference?

@puckharist Ok, so I was told not to worry (after seeing someone who was concerned initially) as they were didi and both still growing nicely. I duno if that helps you.
Ask exactly at your next appointment if this is an issue and if so what the plan would be. I hope my situation is a bit of comfort

@jerah1 Yes it was. I showed my reports to my OB over WhatsApp, she didn't seem too concerned. Next appointment is on Monday, will get more details then. Meanwhile yoir kind reply was soothing. That this happens in DCDAs.

@puckharist I was in Bulgaria and did have to push to talk to an MFM when I was concerned. If you are worried, definitely push. I had a situation that could have been bad (not saying yours is) and my OB wasn't really used to twins in a high risk pregnancy. Im glad I pushed and I have healthy 8bmonth old boys (we delivered at 33+2 due to severe pre eclampsia and cord flow issues)

@enwphysics How are the babies doing now?
Actually there's no concept of MFM here. I am going to the best fertility and child hospital there is in my city. We are trust the doctor. There is no cord flow issue as per the radiologist (he is a doctor, not technician). And report says the same. I think they'll let me carry till week 37. But we'll know more on monday.

@puckharist The boys are doing really well! If you are worried push for more scans. My pregnancy was Mo/Di and they are often more complicated. Im also 45 and I had diabetes and apparently high blood pressure...They monitored me for SIUGR because baby B had cord flow issues (had steroid shot and it got better) and then his growth wasn't as consistent as they wanted. And the pre eclampsia picked up very fast. So in the end I was in the hospital for 3 weeks trying to get as far along as possible. They were worried about placental failure when they decided to deliver mine. Dont be afraid to be a little pushy about thibgs if you think something isn't right. Good luck!!!

@puckharist My non-identical boy twins were born with over a pound difference in weight, and the lighter one at birth is about 3 inches taller and 2 pounds heavier now at 2 1/2 years old 🤷‍♂️