Would you send baby for settle sessions at nursery when there's a d and v bug?

tali26

My one year old is meant to have his settle sessions at nursery (what we call daycare here) tomorrow, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Three times one hour and one time two hours.

Just got an email from them saying there's a d and v bug going around. They're asking folk with symptoms not to come in and have implemented infection protocol.

If we don't start him tomorrow we have to wait until seven August for settle sessions which delays the start, but I don't want to risk my little boy getting ill in a way I can prevent. He's premature and had a lot of sickness since he was born.

It just makes things really hard if he can't start until fourteenth.

Just looking for a sciencey perspective please xx

Edit: thank you, such a mixed bag of advice but it's good to see so many perspectives

He's a bit small for his age but otherwise healthy. I just worry. Always.

@tali26 Day care is a hub of sickness and disease. Your kid will bring something home every third week. You can ask if this is especially bad, but unless your kid is especially high risk, id just accept that any given week will be something.

@nanayah Every third week? How’d you get so lucky?!

When my son started daycare in 2021 at 15 months he was sick almost every week for 4 straight months. However, that was a year into Covid and he hadn’t been sick once in his entire life thanks to lockdown, so he and many other kids likely had no immunity to anything and bugs spread even more rapidly than normal. Now that he’s 3, he gets sick much less often.

@nanayah Haha, well I suppose that’s a relief. My son’s first four months were September through December and it was brutal. It’s not an exaggeration to say we had 14-16 different bugs during that time.

@tali26 Right, so it’s a soft launch into nursery for them.
Gotchya.

I guess it depends on a bunch of things like age of the child and your personal risk tolerance for their hygiene etc etc. For example, prematurity might not be much of a factor for a 12 month old vs. 6 week old corrected age 1 week, if that makes sense

@tali26 I used to get freaked out by these notices from nursery about x,y,z going around but there's always something. It's d & v this week, chicken pox next week, hand, foot & mouth the week after etc etc. Of all the notices we've received, my son has caught precisely none of the "noted" illnesses in a year, because the kids with those illnesses are kept at home. He's had plenty of others...

@azark I agree with this OP.

The reality is that it's only avoidable if you chose a nanny instead of daycare. Daycare is rife with bugs. The first year is rough. On the flip side, I've found that by 3-4 their immune systems will be amazing and they'll be immune to it all before they start school, so they are able to participate more in the early education system.

There is no right or wrong answer here, it's very much case by case for what works for your family.

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/c...claims-immunity-debt-children-owe-us-evidence