Worth buying something in advance?

kasselkid4

So my BIL and SIL are visiting with their 1yo soon and I need to have a pack n play and high chair for them at the house. I already picked up the pack n play because it was on clearance and inexpensive. The high chair could potentially be more expensive and it was suggested to me that since babies could be in our near future, maybe we would just buy one we liked for ourselves. Any thoughts here? Should I just get a cheap one now and wait until we’re ready to buy the latest and greatest? Storage and such is not a issue for us if we choose to buy things now.

@kasselkid4 I have a 3 year old and I can tell you the IKEA antilop high chair is very cheap and one of the best and most practical high chairs on the market.

@kasselkid4 Padding is horrible. Do not underestimate the mess a baby/toddler makes when they eat. Food will get stuck in all the seams and crevices, it’s so gross and hard to clean. And no, a foot rest is not necessary.

@braydeno There are some high chairs that can tilt for different feeding positions when they’re infants and some have different seating options that change and adapt to fit them as they get older

@kasselkid4 Oh yeah I get what you’re saying. Everyone has their preferences. Kids don’t eat solids until their 6 months and can sit up so I didn’t see the need for any recline action. The stokke high chair that grows with the kid is cool but expensive. I was happy with my ikea one cuz it was cheap and effective. I sold mine when we moved last year but when I have another kid I’ll definitely be buying it again.

@kasselkid4 Will they be visiting often? How far out is your own timeline to TTC?

Personally I try to keep a few items at my house (toys, plastic plates and bowls) for when my nieces visit.

Maybe a full high chair is not necessary? You could perhaps get one of those booster seat things that come with a tray (like a travel high chair? I have no idea what they're called) that you can put on a regular chair. They're cheaper, and you could also use it with your future kids!

@bluelephant Probably not visiting often and TTC could be as soon as June, but we haven’t nailed it down.

I think for myself I would want a full high chair and then a compact travel one, so it might be best to just purchase the travel one now and wait for a full chair later.

@kasselkid4 I would go with the compact one, personally, mostly so I don't have a constant visual reminder that I don't have kids yet (even if it's put away, I think the boxes are still quite big). But that's me!