Why isn’t this particular risk of back to back pregnancies ever discussed?

@mybridges Fascinating. I've never seen this particular study.

And it's definitely discouraged here, in the states. But we unfortunately live in a country where some people think they know better than doctors. Not that every doctor is 100% all the time of course. But there seems to have been a surge in the "a mother's body knows best" in the past decade or so. Going well past due dates, refusing routine monitoring that sort of thing.

@katrina2017 Agree with @lakergirl. I think it’s clear that premature inductions are much more of an issue than going well beyond due dates in the US, considering the average FTM spontaneously goes into labor at 41+1. I have multiple friends who lost their absolute shit at 40 weeks because they were so over being pregnant and subsequently got induced or tried every trick in the book to encourage labor. We really need to adjust our expectations when it comes to the 40 week due date. That being said, women should not be going past 42 weeks, but I don’t know a single physician or midwife who would allow that.

Source

Source

Source

Source

@katrina2017 To be fair, the science is scarce on due dates, the studies are old and the sample size was small. A modern study wouldn't get past an ethics board. Everyone's bodies and periods are different, and conception date is rarely known for certain. '42-weeks is the maximum acceptable length of a human pregnancy' is based on no actual decent science

@mybridges I just can’t imagine. I was 7 weeks pp after a c section and had just gotten cleared to have sex. My husband wanted to have sex but I wasn’t on any form of BC. We had sex and he didn’t even attempt to prevent pregnancy and I was so mad. He said because I was BFing that should be fine and I said you think women can’t ovulate while BFing?! A grown ass woman and I had to go buy the morning after pill because I was so terrified of getting pregnant again right away.

@dulcismo I don't understand; wouldn't you have both discussed contraception options and a timeline for more potential kiddos before having sex again?

More importantly; did his stance change after you informed him that BFing isn't a viable form of birth control? It's a common myth; not saying he's not also wrong here, but I know many women who think this as well.

@amy35669 He is 100% against having anymore kids. And we 100% had that conversation and before we had sex I said “make sure you pull out”!!!! When he didn’t I just said “are you serious?” Got up, got dressed, packed baby and my sister who was visiting in the car and went and got plan B.

He just expected me to be able to take care of everything. I had my BC put back in right after that incident and he ended up having a vasectomy but I will never know what the hell went through his mind. He ignored it and acted like it never happened. Still furious when I think of it.

@dulcismo I'm so sorry, that sounds incredibly frustrating, and rather entitled on his part -.-

Hope he's made it up to you in other ways since that time

@mybridges Firstly, there is no one known cause for autism. Research suggests that autism develops from a combination of genetic and nongenetic, or environmental, influences. These influences appear to increase the risk that a child will develop autism. However, it’s important to keep in mind that increased risk is not the same as cause.

Something more worrisome is the fact it takes 18 months for your body to fully heal, so you’re at risk for a slew of issues regarding your well-being through your pregnancy, birth and in turn your child if you don’t give your body ample time to heal. Including miscarriages, premature birth and birth complications.

Research suggests that beginning a pregnancy within six months of a live birth is associated with an increased risk of: Premature birth. The placenta partially or completely peeling away from the inner wall of the uterus before delivery (placental abruption). The belief is that having health issues during your pregnancy and birth may lead to issues for the child.

Children conceived less than 18 months after their mother’s previous birth or children conceived 60 or more months after their mother’s previous birth were more likely to have ASD when compared to children conceived between 18 to 59 months after their mother’s previous birth. The relationship is stronger in children with severe ASD symptoms. The linkage between birth spacing (the period of time between pregnancies) and having a child with ASD appeared to be unique to ASD, as there was no linkage found between birth spacing and having children with other developmental disabilities. The linkage between birth spacing and having a child with ASD was not explained by unplanned pregnancy, an underlying fertility disorder in the mother, or high blood pressure or diabetes during pregnancy.

The issues with these studies is that they are from a small pool (1,500.)

The study you cited:

KPNC members are broadly representative of the local and statewide population in terms of sociodemographic characteristics, except for the extremes of income distribution.20 Eligibility was restricted to singleton children of known parity who were born at a gestational age of ≥24 weeks, who remained health plan members until at least 2 years of age, and who had a sibling born between 1990 and 2009 (n = 150 649). From this cohort, we excluded 50 036 children whose siblings were not born at KPNC, 16 659 whose siblings were not full siblings, and 32 640 whose birth order was >2. We additionally excluded 6053 children whose mother had an indication of pregnancy loss between the births of her first and second children (using information on the birth certificates of the first and second child) and children for whom data on gender, parental age, or race/ethnicity were missing. Our main analysis focused on second-born children whose older (firstborn) siblings did not have ASD (n = 44 383). A secondary analysis was conducted among second-born children whose firstborn full sibling had an ASD diagnosis (n = 878).

The censoring date was the date of the first ASD diagnosis, or if no diagnosis, the date of last membership in the health plan or the end of the study period of December 31, 2013, whichever came first.

There were also other factors such as maternal age which would be the age of a geriatric pregnancy.

Of the 44 383 second-born children who had a firstborn full sibling without an ASD, 547 (1.2%) were diagnosed with an ASD by the end of the study period (377 autistic disorder, 117 Asperger’s disorder, and 53 pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified). There were no differences between second-born children with ASD and those without ASD with respect to maternal education, place of birth, or race/ethnicity. However, a higher proportion of children with ASD had mothers age ≥35 years and were born between 2000 and 2003 compared with children without ASD.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4586728/

There are a lot of more variables at play and there aren’t a large amount of additional studies outside of the one you mentioned and ones with smaller pools. Also keep in mind how this data was acquired. In the study you mentioned they included individuals who dropped out of their health care plan but had an evaluation for ASD and other disabilities that were reported to a government entity. Not necessarily a treatment plan and diagnosis.

Also, any practitioner following safest guidelines for pregnancy spacing would suggest 18-24 months.

That being said, it’s not our place to judge what other women do with their bodies. Be it their choice or otherwise. A million other factors could be at play. Maybe that mom who seemed to have back to back pregnancies had a miscarriage. Maybe she’s always wanted a big family. Maybe she was aware of the risks and became pregnant thinking it would take longer to conceive and decided to keep the child. I think the bigger issue is the pressure and misinformation towards and offered to women regarding the realities of pregnancy/labor/childbirth/having children.

@jalopy Great comment. I find it increasingly difficult to be in this sub due to many posts passively shaming parents of multiples or just making unnecessary jabs at them. All this does is make the posters seem completely insecure in their own choices. I am gloriously and happily one and done and I've never felt the need to say anything bad about parents who choose to have more than one.

@okafor1886 Exactly!! I was hoping this sun could be of anecdotes and banding together to support each other and our personal experiences of being OAD. I’m debating leaving because of how women are tearing down other women and don’t seem to be feminists, super bummer.

@meganm112611 Yea, I’m not quite sure why there’s animosity towards other women for having more children and blaming them in some capacity versus seeing the issues of infrastructure in their country and the influence of the patriarchy in their day to day lives. And how that pits women against each other and diminishes their rights of bodily autonomy. Women should support each other regardless of the choices we make with our uteruses.

@jalopy I think it's unexamined misogyny, antifeminism and/or a misunderstanding of what feminisms are about and/or a feeling of righteous indignation. People feel judged and made to feel inferior so their ego steps in with superior judgmentalness. It's a coping mechanism, however misguided.

Maybe it's a combination of all of them or something else entirely.

But whatever the case, you hit the effect right on target. It pits women, and families, against each other and diminishes rights of bodily autonomy and I would argue rights of families too.

I'm hoping with enough push back people will start to see that the mirror being held to them in these kinds of posts is an act of concern.

It hurts to be shamed. Shaming others is not the medicine people think it is.

And of all things, autism is the least concern with back to back pregnancy.
My first thought is "I hope that mother is well supported in every way."

@mybridges Me, my dad, and my daughter are all autistic and we’re all firstborns. Guess ours must’ve been caused by one of the 500 other things that also correlate with autism 🤷🏻‍♀️ If people spent as much time and energy trying to empathize and understand people with autism, rather than figuring out how to avoid it like it’s a disease, maybe they would realize that different brains working differently is a feature, not a bug. I could go on and on about how modern life, culture, and technology intersect to make autism into a disability as we see it now, but I don’t think anyone is listening, so I will refrain.

@meslit I’m not targeting a particular condition but wondering why this particular risk, among others, is rarely acknowledged. My mother was a trained special educator who spent her life working with students who had low functioning autism.

I also have several chronic health conditions that can have 500 causes themselves. I do not think of myself as inferior because my pancreas is trash and my liver keeps shutting down. I also had preeclampsia and nearly stroked out while giving birth. But if there was a way decrease the risk of this happening to me or my child, I would have liked to know it.