Why don’t more people use wool?

joyful0128

Maybe I’m underestimating how challenging wool will be to take care of? I don’t see much about wool anywhere though! It just seems like it makes more sense to me from a health and environmental standpoint.

@joyful0128 Wool is more work but it is lovely. I am actually trying to sell my wool as my 3 year old is potty training and my chunky 2 year old doesn’t fit in it.

@joyful0128 I just had my third baby this past week and decided to knit him wool covers, I didn't start trying wool until my first two were older and loved the covers I had made, I've been loving using wool from the start with this little guy. And knitting the covers myself I was able to customize the style I like and they were very inexpensive other than my time (but I enjoy working on projects and knit his covers while at the doctors office for my prenatal appointments almost exclusively)

@daxx Oooooh I am a major knitter running out of things to make for my first baby (expected late January) - can you share any patterns you've used for wool covers? I'd love to try this!

@maitri I made up my own pattern, but very loosely followed a video on YouTube (I completely resized it to make them work from birth, added in German short rows for shaping etc) but would be happy to share the video link.

@joyful0128 I love wool, but when I gift cloth wool has to be asked for because it's easy to mess up. Like right now I'm buying diapers for my brother and his wife, they both have learning disabilities (baby was not planned) so we're going with the most simple and easy to wash diapering options. Different families have different needs.

@joyful0128 Big thing for me is how you dress them changes, I only do wool in summer when they wear a tshirt and only at home. I didn’t like it in winter even with really warm long Wool pants because you can’t use shirts with snaps on them and their tummy gets cold. Honestly I had way to much cute clothes that I wanted my babies to wear and wool just didn’t work well with them

@joyful0128 I can definitely see why more people wouldn’t use wool, the cost and convenience of PUL is a lot more attractive. We use wool at night over our super bulky fitteds and love it! It took a long time to get into, though. Bub was 3 months before we tackled night nappies and 5 months before we invested in good wool covers.

My brain couldn’t comprehend how wool was meant to make a waterproof layer and I didn’t think I could justify the cost, at first. We’d already spent so much trying to make our night nappy situation work, but a friend really encouraged me to try so we bought two covers from BabyBeehinds for $50AUD each, figuring I could just sell them on if it didn’t work.

@joyful0128 I love wool but quit because I was having to wash them too often from getting poop on them. They just take too long to dry in my damp PNW house.
For those complaining about the cost check out BST groups on FB. I got most of mine for about $20 each.

Back