Why does it seem like dating as a single parent is impossible?

@tess14 In my opinion there are two ways to go about it. One, date like it’s an interview process. Two, wait. Just do your best to find happiness alone but also keep your mind open and see what happens 😉 good luck

@tess14 Hello. Please don’t take this the wrong way but I don’t think single parents understand that most people who are looking to date someone are single and/or childless people. And to be quite frank aren’t interested in someone with a child let alone two. I’ll explain, Yes everyone has responsibilities as an adult however your responsibilities will always be more than someone who probably just has to go to work, pay bills, take care of themselves/pet. Your responsibilities would include going to work paying bills, tending to a home, caring for two children and dealing with an ex and dealing with family members as well as taking care of yourself. So therefore, it’s not that they are “self centered” that’s kinda insensitive. They are simply humans who are not in your situation, so of course they don’t understand and if it were you who were single and child free, you’d probably feel the same. Everyone likes to feel that they are at least in the top 5 of your priorities no one wants to be 9/10th. I hope I shed some light on the opposing view. It would be good if you can find someone who is okay with that and I mean truly okay with that ( To protect you and your kids) or even better....someone who has a similar situation to you. Good luck :)

@tess14 Dating is a total sewer either the people you encounter are completely like quality or they're worth your time but then get iffy about you having children or want to bring up some other nonsense reason why it's okay to jerk you around.

The worst is those who make plans when you know you don't have your kids knowing it's precious time and then bail on you at the last second.. Like gee thanks

@seanat2105 Yes omg I hate that!!! It’s like I set aside a set amount of time just to see you and then last minute oh sorry I can’t meet you tonight something else came up. It’s frustrating to say the least. Also it’s like you think you met someone nice and things are going good and then they jsut ghost you for no reason

@tess14 Dude, tell me about it. You have to be a ruthless savage to survive in the dating market of today. I was seeing a girl for about 3 months after my separation last year. Things were going well very well. At one point she asked to meet my kids (3 boys) after doing so she started acting mega flaky I in turn ended up ghosting her because of it and we didn't discuss what happened for another probably 2 to 3 months

@tess14 I recently became a single mom after I found out my soon to be ex husband was having an affair. I also have two kids. I’m not looking forward to stepping back in the dating pool. Good luck to you!

@tess14 Single mom here.. I recently tried to start dating and it’s just been an absolute fail.. did not try for over 3 years and just about to give up for good..

@btrailor I feel you on that about giving up it’s so hard not to with the way people are now in days. If you want you can message me with being new to Reddit it won’t allow me to message anyone yet lol

@tess14 I recently broke up with my boyfriend, he told me: "we need to work on ourselves so that we can be better versions of ourselves and maybe in the future be better for one another" but also stated that "he wasn't ready to be a stepfather to my son"

I am still going through the stages of grief and I'm not gonna lie it sucks. It's not as bad as when my son's biological father/my ex-husband left us for a better and more full filling life. But I am still sad because I was in a 7-8 month relationship with someone who actually valued me but I could see that that person wasn't willing to be an important figure to my son.

It's hard dating as a single parent, even if you introduce that person to your children over time. That other person is going to have to take that time to want to see if they want that life with you. Being a parent or even just being able to deal with life.

@blessedflaws That’s worse feeling before I took a break from dating I had a gf for almost a year before she just decided to walk away from me no reason except she couldn’t handle me having kids