Why are pregnancy clothes hideous?

@linlee Check your local Facebook marketplace, mine doesn’t have that cute of options, but at least you’re not paying full price.

Second pregnancy around, currently 13+1. Was similarly pregnant with my first. I LIVED in dresses. Highly recommend a black one that you can layer with tshirts, flannel, chambray, kimonos etc. Any wrap dress will work.

Personally I’m not a fan of sizing up regular clothes bc they fit funny and if you go back to your previous size, you won’t be able to wear them.

Find a good pair of leggings or two. I prefer over the bump support.

@linlee I started buying oversize stuff but I found as I got a bump that hiding it just made me look chunky. I'm 24 weeks and I'm just not doing maternity clothes. I've gone for bodycon dresses, crop jumpers or big cardigans, and Natopia bell bottoms (cannot recommend these enough!) or tanktops and stretch pencil skirts.

maternity clothes are just too gross and I cannot do it

@manueloi I’m with you. I’m 30 weeks with my second pregnancy. Both times, I just bought some maternity jeans and leggings from Walmart (they’re cheap and simple). I just wear flowy tops, (intentionally) oversized tshirts, or dresses. (I’m lucky I can wear jeans to work, so that helps.) I’ve spent maybe $100 total on maternity clothes this time.

@manueloi I’ve found body con dresses are the way to go for me. Also stretchy biker shorts/leggings with either crop tops or oversized shirts. I’m very small and maternity clothes are just too big for me. But I’m also going for trying to accentuate and embrace my baby bump instead of covering it up.

@linlee Target, Old Navy, and summer dresses (non-maternity, just light, loose, and flowy) have been my choices. Also, MotherBee Maternity has good sales on dresses. I don’t love maternity clothes, but they are a lot more comfortable. Use Super Cash and codes at Old Navy to bring the price down.

@linlee Have you tried a Bella band? I’m on my second pregnancy and wish I would have tried sooner! Basically it’s a stretchy band that goes over the top of your jeans so you can leave them unbuttoned but they don’t fall down. Just looks like an undershirt.

@aceluxurywinetours I have a bunch of shirts my husband has outgrown and given to me, as I often wear overly large shirts anyway. I fully intend to live in those when I get so big I can’t wear my own shirts anymore.

@linlee Omg, I know. So I rent clothes from Nuuly. They have a lot of cute maternity stuff from expensive brands that I’m definitely not gonna buy because it’s so short lived. In their maternity section they also have a “bump friendly” section that has been great for things that aren’t maternity but still work till you get pretty big. I’ve also found Target to be a great resource for basics. I bought two tight fitting dresses there for like $20 each and they’re fun colors and look more expensive then they are. Also bought cute denim shorts from there too.

@shelzmike +1 to Nuuly! Great way to keep my wardrobe fresh and adapt clothes to a growing bump. I didn’t buy a single piece of maternity wear except for leggings (a size up from normal) and bras.

@linlee I’m only 25 weeks so keep in mind my bump is probably going to get much bigger, but for now, I’ve totally opted out of clothes that are intended to be maternity clothes because like you said, they’re horrible.

I’ve bought a lot oversized button down shirts and linen matching sets (think a tank top with wide leg pants, linen). The pants have a stretching waste band and are high rise so they fit nicely over the bump and I’ve upgraded my tops from a small to a medium. I’m trying to keep it simple because it’s sad to spend money on clothes that will be way too big after pregnancy. I’ve let myself spend a little more on accessories (jewelry, shoes, bags) so I can still dress things up/down, feel cute despite having a small rotating closet of mostly plain, linen pieces and bicycle shorts.

Back