What kind of car do you drive?

@olaitan I ended up going with a smaller car, and so far only have 1 kid. We have a BMW X1 (for me) and an X3. But I really liked the VW Atlas. I just wanted a smaller car while I can get away from it. I don’t remember what the second row looks like for sure but I think it was bucket seats. And it has a third row.

@olaitan We have 2 SUVs with the captains chairs in the second row and bench 3rd row. Honestly, I wish I would have gone bigger. My kids are a little older and there’s always friends and sports gear and Costco hauls. If I could redo, I’d go for the Expedition Max or similar sized. We have no car payments though so I’m going to drive these into the ground.

@olaitan I only have two so I have a Lexus sedan, but I'd totally get a minivan if I had three+. We've rented minivans before when we've gone on road trips and I really like the captains seats in the middle row.

@olaitan I have a Hybrid Toyota Sienna. I LOVE it. I get 34+ MPG and it seats 7. My oldest is 7 and baby #3 is due at the end of September. I do wish there was a bit more cargo space in the back with the third row up, but it's largely a minor inconvenience. I love having the Captains chairs. Even I have no issue climbing back to the third row when I need to (and I've ridden back there, it's comfy!). The captains chairs are on long slides and are super adjustable, which makes it very easy to get infants in and out. Plus, the sliding doors mean I don't have to worry about bumping the door into another car, and the wider opening makes it much easier for handling a baby.

@olaitan Highlander here - If I did it again I’d do bench and put booster in middle . I have captains and I usually have to reach over through the trunk if my third row kid needs help. Bench is also nice bc you gain 1 more seat in general.

@olaitan I love my Subaru ascent with captains chairs. It feels so sturdy and a lot of luxury features for a rugged brand. It looks a lot like a Toyota Highlander. I plan to drive this car until I kill it.

ETA I tested the back row when I was trying cars. It had by far the most comfy ride in the back. I’m 5’6” and I found it to be decently comfy.

@olaitan I’m on my second Ford Explorer and I don’t see myself ever owning anything else. For comparison, my dad has a Jeep Grand Cherokee and they look the same parked next to each other. My car has so much more legroom AND cargo space than his car. I know the newer Jeeps are bigger, but my explorer is just so comfortable.

I know the newer ones offer captains chairs for the second row as an option. The third rows fold up either total flat or the can fold over on themselves so you have deep cargo space (perfect for grocery bags) closer to the door.

@olaitan I have a Volvo XC90 with captains chairs in the second row so we can access the third row. I love the car for two kids. As far as I know, you can’t put a car seat in the third row, so depending on the age/size of your oldest, it may not work for 3 little kids.