Birth Story: I had a 42 hour labor that ended in a vaginal birth. If I didn’t stay fit, though, it would have been very different

@roderobin 37 weeks along here, still running. My sweet spot is a trail or gravel that's flat. Any kind of road/pavement means less to trip on but I find the hard impact to be so uncomfortable when you're jiggling and jolting in all new ways. I've never preferred road running for that exact reason and it's definitely exacerbated the bigger I get. Trails and gravel have such a gentler bounce that I'm used to, although my calves scream at me a lot more for carrying an extra 35 lbs, heh.

When the trail gets a bit technical I tend to concentrate and slow down to avoid tripping. I actually find I'm more likely to trip on roads because I get lulled into a sense of security and am less alert to things like uneven sidewalks.

Generally even before pregnant I usually trip/fall when I'm tired or distracted. So I've been trying to avoid both those scenarios when I run now.

You've probably seen it suggested here already but the maternity fitsplint belt makes a HUGE difference. And if you get any sharp pains, go see a PT who specializes in women's health ASAP. In my case she was able to show me how to adapt my running to tighten my core and not feel like there was a knife in my pelvis.

@river1221 I'm curious to know what you did to maintain your fitness? I'm 24 weeks now and thinking I might have to reduce what I'm currently doing soon but obviously don't want to reduce too much

@katrina2017 Running and walking was my core. I ran until just shy of 35 weeks (I started having pelvic floor soreness). At first, I maintained about 15-20 miles per week, though that trickled down to three or four 2 mile runs per week. I normally run on hilly trails, but stopped running them around 28 weeks due to increased fall risk. As for walking, there was a half mile loop at work that I did about 2-4 times a day. Once I wasn’t running anymore, I was walking the same 2 mile loop that I used to run on a daily basis.

I also did medium intensity yoga 1-2 times a week and weight lifting about once a week. I also rock climbed until week 18 (fatigue started to scare me, so I stopped 😬).

I started cutting back things as things got hard. You have to be mindful of your physical stresses - if you feel that you’re pushing yourself for a certain duration or intensity, it may be best to dial it back.

@river1221 Awesome to hear that you continued climbing. I'm very early on, and am hoping to keep it up. Even though I know lots of people have.. I'm still nervous bouldering within limits. So far just taking care to downclimb.

@frmfbbs I actually completely stopped bouldering dry early on (8 or 10 weeks) at husband’s request. We have a great rope area at our gym, so it wasn’t too big of a deal. I do have a friend that climbed up until delivery of her twins. Insane!

@katrina2017 Not OP, but had a similar birth experience and credit fitness with helping me through it. For pushing, and in terms of recovery, I always say: squats squats squats! Your pelvic floor will thank you later.

@river1221 Thank you so much. This gives me a lot more confidence in my upcoming VBAC due July 26th. I started off overweight but athletic and working out, I haven’t gained any weight and feel extremely healthy this whole pregnancy. My main goal is labor, my health and stamina going in. You’ve given me a lot of confidence. Thank you again ❤️

@river1221 I love this story! I had a similar labor and felt like I had failed a fit pregnancy goal, but if you shift the focus, you can see fitness is really important in getting you to the finish line, especially if the labor is tough!

@wartremover Definitely! There are so many factors at play and you as the momma can only control so many. Did my fitness determine that my cervix wouldn’t open? Nope. But, it did determine how I finished the labor and got my girl out safely and quickly without stressing her out even more.

@river1221 Wow congratulations that’s epic! Thank you so much for sharing this! I really needed to hear it after slowing down and hitting a huge slump at 29weeks. I’m determined to get back on track now 💪🏼

@river1221 Congrats! My fitness helped me too - it was the fastest pushing my midwife had ever recorded at her center and we credited all the squats and walking I’d done!

I think walking helped the most though. I see you’d done about 15-20 miles per week - same here. It truly helped me regulate my breathing which is a whole different ballgame when pregnant, and it makes breathing through labor much easier. Pregnancy is like prepping for a marathon. It requires adequate training.