Unvaccinated Nanny

@lauriesinglemom A lot of people in here are downplaying COVID but ignoring that you said in your post you spent a week in hospital and that your twins were premature.

A peer reviewed study this year shows that being vaccinated also in fact reduces transmission by up to 55%: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-022-02138-x

Being vaccinated not only substantially affects transmission & infection rates but also affects how symptomatic you are, how likely you are to be hospitalised and how likely you are to die.

You now have an almost 1 in 2 chance of being readmitted into hospital having been hospitalised before: https://www.scientificamerican.com/...ase-the-risk-of-severe-disease-or-long-covid/

Long COVID is also very real and the only way to protect yourself, your spouse and your children from potential lifelong disability is not contracting it.

Even if you are purely selfish here (and I’m not suggesting you are or should be), she’s far more likely to be sick enough to need a lot of time off work if she does get it, forcing you to try and find other costly care at the last minute.

How would you feel in future if, knowing she was unvaccinated, and seemingly unconcerned about the impacts she could have on your family, she disregarded her symptoms and contacts and put you or your kids in the hospital again?

Honestly, it seems important to you and with good reason. Losing good care is a shame but losing care from someone who doesn’t truly care for your family, doesn’t listen to your concerns, doesn’t share your values and dodges questions about those issues is not.

ETA: I incorrectly stated COVID transmission was not substantially different between vaccinated and unvaccinated people. This was incorrect (see second para)

I would also check your contract with the agency and its advertised services - if they promised you they would check for/verify vaccination status and didn’t, they should be willing to bear any costs and inconvenience of finding you a new nanny who does meet those standards.

Assume you live in the US but in Australia under our consumer law that would more than likely be considered a “major failure” of a service (ie a problem significant enough that if you knew about it, you would not have engaged them or bought a product). Major failures are grounds for you to get either a refund or replacement from them at your discretion.

@lauriesinglemom This would be a deal breaker for me. This is a demonstration of either poor judgement/scheduling or purposeful negligence on her part. I would also wonder how exactly this was missed in her check. Did the agency miss it or did she misrepresent her vaccination status? Personally I would have difficulty trusting her with my vulnerable child.

Back