Took a job 6 months ago that is hybrid. (Advertised 2 days a week) and they just announced they are going back to fully in office

@ilkhanapit I went through a kind of similar situation when I got a new manager (who's known to not be the best at her managerial role, only at sales) who told me she needs me in one of our 3 offices at least a few days a week, despite my role having been changed to 100% remote just over a year ago, approved by by former manager (who I miss so much), HR & our (now retired) VP. I lived in FL, where we have 1 office, the others are in GA & ID. I moved to NY just over a year ago for more family support (I was widowed almost 3 years ago) for my 7 year old daughter, plus I couldn't afford the insanely high cost of living on my salary. She allegedly wasn't told I no longer live in FL, despite telling me she needs me in "one of our offices". She then accused me of not getting formal approval to move, which I did, so I provided her dozens of emails stating this was approved, copying HR. That was the end of that conversation.

I share my story because you may have documentation from your offer letter/job inventory stating that your role will be 100% remote. If you do, I'd tell your boss that is what you accepted as the offer (copy HR as well). There weren't any caveats in there stating your role is subject to change to hybrid (as long as there aren't).

@ilkhanapit How dumb to do this as a business owner? I think they were betting on the job market lightening up a little bit before they made this switch. In any case, this is a dishonest employer who is not living up to their word and I couldn't care for such employers. Fortunately the job market is still aggressively hiring. So grab your chance while it's still hot.

@ilkhanapit Did you sign a contract that outlined your hybrid status and is there wording saying this is subject to change? If there's a contract that states hybrid with no "subject to change" jargon spend $200 to have a contract lawyer write a letter noting breach of contract and request to c/w working from home. Most companies are slippery and always have contract verbiage stating "all of this is subject to change. " But just incase...

@ilkhanapit My company did this, but to the people hired just before me.

The folks hired a few months before me were told they’d be totally remote. I was told we’d be moving into a few days per month in office. So for them it was a huge surprise.

We have a lot of people fully remote. Everything is a negotiation and you might be able to sway them. Or decide to leave. It’s tough either way and I’m sorry you’re dealing with this!!

@fleckphan Unfortunently nothing. Plus my contract has language that changes in work place policy will hold control over contract/offer letters. This was a change in work place policy, so it wouldn’t have mattered.

It’s just sleezy of them. Not that I think any company really cares about thier people , but yesh.

@ilkhanapit I just had to watch a propaganda video on how great it is to be in the office and how necessary (never mind our company had its best two years under full remote!). Of course they picked a WOC with three young kids to spout this bullshit🤬. I like my job, been with the company almost 25 years but I hate the company more and more. I’m the breadwinner so it’s not like I have a lot flexibility to just leave considering that these companies conspire as an industry to do the same thing. Then I hear we “were all in the office in 2019”. Well, we also had assigned seats, three additional buildings so stressing over parking and finding a desk with working equipment was never an issue! Thanks for the vent