Took a job 6 months ago that is hybrid. (Advertised 2 days a week) and they just announced they are going back to fully in office

@ilkhanapit I hate this. I would leave even if it meant going to another 5 day in office job. The loss of trust wouldn’t allow me to work for them another day. I wouldn’t want to reward their bad behavior.

@ilkhanapit I had a very similar experience with interviewing at a company like this (didn't take the role) in IL. I interviewed at a company and they said they were going back full time in office - so I pulled out of the interviews/turned them down. Maybe two years later, a recruiter reaches out on an AMAZING role. She lets me know the company and I said I'd only do 2 days max in office - so not a fit. She lets me know they did go hybrid because they had such an exodus on going back into the office.

Interview, director likes me, I make it 100% clear I'll leave if they ever go back fully in office regardless if I have another job lined up. Scheduling addl interviews, my recruiter is informed by HR that they will be going back to the office full time. I hope the employees there do another exodus, but I'm done interviewing with this company.

I'm pretty senior and all my peers (when I worked in an office) were men who had stay at home wives. Covid helped me stay senior in that I could wfh and balance my time around my toddler - even with full time daycare. I cannot be a good mom, be a successful senior level employee and work in an office. I can pick two of those things.

@ilkhanapit Five days in a physical office is just disgusting and always has been.
You said your manager was also pissed. Who made the order and are they putting themselves in the office too?

@ilkhanapit Ah yes - the good ole bait n switch to get people to accept the job.

This is why I don’t trust hybrid. Lots of companies are using it to slowly ramp back up to full time in office.

@ilkhanapit I agree that looking for another job is probably your best strategy right now. It sucks - I don't know why companies do this. It just comes back to bite them in terms of employee retention and morale.

In the mean time, just don't adhere to the new policy. Go in 2 days a week. It doesn't sound like HR or your manager will rat you out. Just stick to your normal schedule. If someone says something about it to you, just say that this is your schedule based on your hiring agreement. If they're mad about it, tough. This will buy you some time to find a new job. If they want to fire you because you still want to remain hybrid, see if you can use their deception and manipulation to negotiate a good severance and referral in exchange for your silence about their hiring practices.

@ilkhanapit “I’m sorry but that will not work for me.” Continue to go the days you agreed to and make them fire you if they have to. But yes look for a new job in the meantime

@ilkhanapit Omg this gives me so much anxiety. I currently am bot a fan of my job (which is 100% remote) but I don’t trust hybrid roles for this reason. It’s so frustrating to hear people say things like “You were in office 5 days before 2020, why not now?” As much as my current job stresses me out, the extra 10 hours a week saved from commuting means so much to me.

@kobestutri Explain that!

“I’m sick much less, I can poop in peace, I can control the temperature in my workspace, cost savings in gas which is $4 a gallon… would you like me to go on?”