Tipping Daycare Teachers

@tsjihoelang American. I think this is BS. They are doing their job. Why would I pay more? (Hypothetical because my children aren't in daycare.) Giving a card or something small seems far more appropriate than giving them a bunch of cash.

The whole culture of giving out extra money to people is disturbing...one person you're supposed to and another you're not? I'm so over it.

@nanbee OP is talking about dropping another $400 - ON TOP of the thousands of dollars they pay each year in fee's as a tip - (OP's words) for 8 preschool teachers. That's pretty fucking insane to me. Along with these wish lists that the school sends out, like what?!?

I have no issue showing my appreciation, but there's a limit. North American tip culture has gotten waaayyy out of hand. We need to stop supplementing each other's salaries through tips & actually fight for wages we can live on.

@tsjihoelang Not an American thing. OP used the wrong wording. We do a holiday gift not “tip”

The rest of the world is obsessed with America’s tipping culture and unfortunately this post was worded wrong

@sweetmissyrose It is though. Either sending one home, having one on the classroom door, a binder in the school office - all very normal. The ECEprofessionals sub has had several threads on this.

@stevensmith9 I think anywhere from $25-$100 is normal at our daycare. “You’ve got to be kidding me”.. uhh why? My sons teachers love my son like their own for 40 hours a week so I get them a Christmas gift? Also.. I get a bonus for doing a "good job" at my job. Why shouldn't they?

@paparazi257 How do you decide which service employees to gift? Surely they don't all make the cut, that would be thousands of dollars. Does your garbage collector get a gift? Your tax preparer? The attorney who handled your will/divorce? The electric company lineman?

@clintpj Actually, many people do give gifts or cash to sanitation workers, delivery drivers, etc. A lot of people like to express their appreciation to those around them. It doesn't have to be a large amount. There's a lot of nastiness those people have to deal with and times are lean for lots of folks lately

@paparazi257 How do you decide which service employees to gift? Surely they don't all make the cut, that would be thousands of dollars. Does your garbage collector get a gift? Your tax preparer? The attorney who handled your will/divorce? The electric company lineman?

@clintpj There's a pretty established holiday tip list, etiquette wise. Just google "holiday tipping guide."

Usually anyone providing a personal service - hairdressers, nail person, housekeepers, etc.

And yes, you are actually supposed to tip your garbage men.

Holiday tipping had been a thing since forever. If anything, we're doing way less of it now than in generations past. And I find that kinda sad.

@mimi94 "Etiquette" comes from the social constructions of the French Court of Louis XIV.

It's literally the unwritten means of enforcing the social privilege of wealth. I don't think it's sad to see that fade, and I don't regard it as a standard for my behavior.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem giving small gifts to service people at the holidays. Cookies for the postal carrier and others who come to my door/house. Crafted items for caregivers. Things to show I/we appreciate them.

But $50/person? That's crazy. They deserve to be paid more and I do my best to use my civic voice to make that happen. But I have bills to pay.

@clintpj It's not a requirement. Just because others are feeling the need/want to give that much doesn't mean you have to. Nor does it make them crazy for wanting to.

@paparazi257 Your employer gives you a bonus for a job well done. The onus does not fall on the end user, or whatever "customers" you may have to give you your bonus. I have no qualms with giving them a gift. But $100 is just egregious. Do you get them an item that's worth 100 or do you give them $100 in cash?

@stevensmith9 I don’t give $100. I give $50 gift cards to Target. But why is someone CHOOSING to give their daycare teachers egregious in any amount? It doesn’t affect you at all what any other parent gives. If you wanna give $0 great. If you wanna give $200, great.

@stevensmith9 Thanks for standing up and taking the downvotes on this. I have absolutely no problem bringing coffee or cookies for them, like I leave out for my postal carrier.

But this level of gifting/tipping is whack. Creating a social expectation of gifts for everyone who you get a service from is crazy, and responding affirmatively to a gift solicitation is crazy. I don't gift my Internet service provider. I don't gift my electric utility. There are real people who work for those organizations, and I need those services. I look at this the same way.

@clintpj I feel like comparing your internet service provider to the people who care for your child(ren) for a large portion of the week is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison.

Back