Tipping Daycare Teachers

@karac Ew I hate that they tell you when you should bring gifts that are not a requirement. Whether I give you a card my kid drew or $500 it should be my choice what and when to gift.

@johnsubira Your gut feeling of $50 per person who works closely with your kids sounds like a totally good number to me!! And if you do $20-30 for those who work less with your kids, i doubt anyone would take offense.

Example of what we do, in case it helps others gauge their holiday contributions:
At our former daycare, we pooled money from parents to split across all ten full time staff members (some parents did their own gifts). The director and daycare owner both floated among classrooms but got the same as everyone else (but they also do a lot of work so that felt totally fair). Parents gave anywhere from $50 to $400-500 — I usually gave $300-400 total depending on the bonuses we got from work.

This year we are in a larger school with pre-k through 9th grade, and there’s also a pool to divide amongst all staff. Gifts here have also ranged from $50-500. I donated $250 to the pool and we will probably also gift $20 each to the teachers in my son’s classroom. This way I know all staff will get something, but can do a more personalized card for the teachers that work closely with my son.

This happens to be what we can afford & is not going to be the same for everyone! We make pretty decent salaries but are not wealthy, and budget for teacher gifts of this size each year; so it really depends on your own budget.

@johnsubira We do $50 for the leads (2) and $20 for the rest (4). I also did a Panera catered breakfast for the whole staff to cover everyone (it cost me about $110 including delivery).

@johnsubira My daycare has a policy that all teachers have to get the same gift and we can’t gift to one teacher only. So I have each teacher (9 of them) $20. 4 teachers plus the cook regularly care for my kiddo. 3 teachers are on the preschool side so he doesn’t interact with them plus there is the director but she covers for people’s breaks etc and so my kiddo knows her.

@johnsubira Honestly, as a daycare teacher myself, a gift card is more than enough lol. Yes, we don’t get paid well but we also understand yall are paying a lot to put your kid in childcare. Even baked goods or candy is nice. Any teacher that expects parents to give $50+ is wild to me lol. That’s just my personal opinion though.

@johnsubira I have been doing $50 per "main" teacher and $40 for the director and the secretary (because THEY are basically the floaters). But this year, since my son is 2, I'm shifting it a little. $60 for main teachers and $25 each for the other two.

@johnsubira As a daycare teacher, usually monetary gifts from parents are only given to those who watch their kid on a daily basis. So like something for the morning teacher and something for the afternoon teacher, for example. Sometimes a parent will bring in food for everyone, but most of the time gift cards and things like that are only for those teachers working with your child. It would be really nice if you wanted to give a gift to everyone, but it’s not “expected” of you. No gift is really expected at all besides the gift of teaching your kiddo ❤️

@johnsubira Hi I'm a daycare teacher and though like everyone, at like gifts, we never expect them. One of my favorite things I got from a kid at me first center was a handmade ornament that still hangs on my tree after 6 years.

I quit teaching and just went back this year and I don't expect anything at all.

@johnsubira My daycare has a parent volunteer to collect money each year and then distribute it amongst the staff. I really liked this at first because I didn't know all the teachers and they aren't all full time, etc. I figured about $50/teacher but it depends on the ratio too.

I still like it but now I know the teachers better and I have a couple that I feel go over the top, so I'm thinking of doing something separate for them. Maybe a gift card to the coffee shop nearby or something.

@johnsubira The amount should be something that you're comfortable with. For my kid's full time daycare (M-F), with 6 teachers, I gift them each $100 cash at the end of the year. He's been with them since he was a baby, and has been there for a few years.

That said, I feel comfortable with this amount. I do think, if you can manage it, a card with cash is better than a gift card in MOST situations, if allowed. If you have a small gifting budget, then something like a dunkin donuts or starbucks card with $10 might feel better as a gift.

@johnsubira I gave the daycare director and 3 teachers each $50 gift cards with thank you notes. I feel like that’s on the high end maybe, but we are also leaving that school for a different one so I wanted to show my appreciation. It’s a lot of money for me, but I’m a teacher too, and I know how under-appreciated and underpaid they are.

@johnsubira This is discussed every year on this forum and you can find lots of opinions on other posts. Lots of variety in expectations depending on region of the US.

We give hand written notes with $50 gift cards to two primary teachers & $25 to every one else (admins, support staff, floaters, chef, etc.). Holiday gifts of some sort are definitely expected at our daycare, but I think the amounts range a LOT - many families are giving homemade cards and $5 coffee cards at most.

The favorites list is a really great way for teachers to share things they like that are cheaper, such as a type of candy, without everyone feeling pressure to provide gift cards. I disagree with the commenters saying that’s tacky. It helps personalizing the gifts imho. It also helps me mix up what I give for birthdays vs holidays, or get different gift cards for different folks.

@johnsubira I work in a daycare and while we always really appreciate gifts, they’re totally not necessary! You could even do like a $10 gift card for starbucks or a local coffee shop near the school, or just bake cookies and bring them in the morning! Or even make a card with your baby’s artwork, I got one last year with a painting by one of the 1 year olds in my class, and I love it 🥺

@johnsubira I was a toddler teacher until this year when I switched to a different job. When I was teaching, I appreciated more the gifts that the kids were involved in. I know what it's like to get those littles to cooperate and I treasure those to this day. Snacks were a big hit with both my co-teacher and me. When I had my daughter in the infant classroom I gave her teachers their favorite candies and hand lotion. With how much hand washing there is, especially with the younger kids, a good lotion was always a win. Just be mindful of sensitivity and allergies.

Back