Those who had a C-section, what were you able to do for baby while recovering from surgery?

@blessedbythebest88 I'm exactly two weeks out from my second unplanned c-section, and I'm starting to feel a little better. I've only lifted the baby, and any diaper changes I've done have been from a sitting position in bed.

My partner has done everything from housework to keeping me fed.

Important things to do beforehand and general tips:
  1. Set up a station with everything you may need in reach. Diapers, wipes, water and snacks for you, chargers, meds, pumping stuff, swaddles, etc. Anything that you don't want to have to get up and grab in the middle of the night. I have a utility cart right next to the bed for this.
  2. The Frida disposable underwear has been 100% essential for me because anything else rubs against my scar weird. So grab either those or some high waist underpants.
  3. After the procedure, set alarms for meds. I made the mistake with my first c section of forgetting to take meds, and boy howdy did I pay for it. Take them on a schedule for at least a week, no matter how confident you may feel. I'm still taking 800mg of ibuprofen once at night, two weeks out, and expect to continue for another week at least.
  4. Get mobile as soon as (reasonably) possible! I attribute the quicker pace of my healing to getting up and around as fast as I could safely manage. And I just mean like walking around for a couple minutes every couple of hours or so, nothing strenuous.
You've got this!

@blessedbythebest88 Emergency c section here! I was able to pretty do everything once I got home from the hospital except carry the car seat and get out of bed quickly. My husband did a lot of the night wakings at that time since I was healing and couldn’t get up quickly enough before she started shrieking. Pro tip- Make sure you get stool softeners lol you’re gonna need them.

@blessedbythebest88 I had an emergency c-section, with a fairly easy recovery and stubborn determination. We ended up formula feeding (with some pumping), so my husband and I split feeding duty and both struggled our way through diaper changes and swaddling. My husband did all the diaper changes for the first day and a half after the surgery, but was able to hand off the baby for some of the feedings. My son was a little under 7 lbs when he was born, so under the 10ish pound weight limit.

@blessedbythebest88 I did everything other than carrying her car seat, my fiancé had 0 time off work except the 3 days I was in the hospital. Other than that my mom helped a lot but I did everything myself anyway

@blessedbythebest88 So I had a severe stomach surgery when I was 10 and I’ve had over 30 knee surgeries (connective tissue disorder) so a C-section was actually really simple recovery for me; I only took Tylenol. I had a harder time with being sooooo tired just from having a newborn and getting use to it all. She was tiny only 6lbs even and I am 22 which they said it’s easier if you’re younger.

@blessedbythebest88 I just a had my first baby 6 weeks ago via an emergency c-section. My husband did everything in the hospital! He did all of the diaper changes and lifting. I was still a bit numb from the anesthesia and swollen after the surgery so my husband would carry the baby and bring him to me in the hospital bed so that I could breastfeed. We were released from the hospital after two nights and I was able to walk around comfortably, but I needed some help at home too, like showering and getting out of bed. It takes time for the stitches to heal and any movement using your core strength may be painful (like getting in and out of a chair, getting on and off the toilet, or getting in and out of bed). I started to feel better after 2-3 weeks. That’s when I stopped bleeding and experiencing pain. My midwife and the OBGYN who performed the surgery both suggested that I take extra strength Tylenol and Advil every 4 hours to help with the pain. That helped me and it’s not dangerous for your baby if you choose to breastfeed. You might also feel a bit constipated after the surgery, so Restoralax can help as a stool softener. Listen to your body and take it easy. No heavy lifting… Nothing heavier than your baby. So don’t carry your purse AND the baby, or the baby AND the car seat. Just the baby on its own.

@lionbacker54 So much great advice in here! I'm glad to here that 2-3 weeks will be the worst of it. It seems most people are on the same page about it. Best of luck on the rest of your motherhood journey and thanks for sharing

@blessedbythebest88 Best of luck to you too! I was so fortunate to have lots of support from my husband and nearby family (like my mom and sister who were only a 15 minute drive away). If your partner can be at home with you for at least the first 2-3 weeks, or if you can have some relatives come over to help, it’ll make a huge difference. I felt so supported to have loved ones nearby to help with cooking, laundry, and running errands like buying groceries and diapers. My husband and I also started to meal prep ahead of the birth to make our lives easier. If you can make easy meals like soup, chili, bolognese sauce or lasagna and freeze it that would be good. Or get some ready made meals. And when you feel up to having visitors come over to see the baby, don’t feel embarrassed to ask for help by asking them to bring food or helping with any chores around the house. Enjoy this new journey! Your baby is so lucky to have you!

@blessedbythebest88 I’m almost three weeks out from my C-section. I was able to get out of bed 6 hours after, but it was a slow process. Days 2-3 hurt the worst. I needed someone to bring her to me while in the hospital. The hospital bed was awful to move around in, and getting out of bed to feed her during the day helped. At home, things were a bit easier. I was better/well-practiced at getting in and out of bed about a week later, and after two weeks I feel great.

I tried to do laundry when I got home around day 4 and had a bit of oozing from the site. My laundry room is in the basement and was scolded by my husband. There’s still a little pain sensation now but I never needed narcotics for it just Motrin/Tylenol.

@blessedbythebest88 I had an emergency c-section and honestly the recovery really wasn’t that bad. I never got to the pushing stage, which, according to my OB is likely why I had a faster recovery. That being said, I recognize everyone heals differently and have found that friends who have also had c-sections have all had slightly different experiences.

I was walking five hours after my surgery. I wanted that catheter out so badly! As soon as the freezing wore off completely, they were able to take it out and get me up and moving. I was very slow and yes, it definitely wasn’t comfortable/painful at times getting in and out of bed or twisting in a certain direction…but it was manageable and I could change diapers and hold the baby and breastfeed. Not always comfortable, but again, manageable. I was only taking Tylenol and Advil to manage the pain the morning after my surgery.

My husband helped with most of the diaper changes, etc., because he was quicker on his feet, but he was back at work when my baby was two weeks days old. My daughter had a check up shortly after he was back at work and I drove her to the appointment and was able to lift her car seat with no problems. By that point I felt mostly normal…well, however normal you can feel two weeks postpartum running on virtually no sleep. 😂🙃

@blessedbythebest88 I had an unplanned c section and I was up on my feet and walking within 6 hours, discharged 24 hours later, and was able to do everything for my baby (albeit slowly and carefully!!) by around day 3. I didn't need any pain relief once the anaesthetic wore off either! All recovery is different but plan for the worst i.e at least 4-6 of recovery of not being able to do more than feed your little babe.

Best of luck to you ❤️

@blessedbythebest88 I had an unplanned c-section after 24 hours of labor and 4 hours of pushing. My recovery was honestly a breeze, so there really wasn’t anything I couldn’t do. I avoided bending over more than halfway (so for example I could get my son in and out of his bassinet, but I wouldn’t bend over to pick something up off the ground).

That being said, I know others who had a more difficult recovery after c-section, so I think it’s kind of impossible to know how you’re going to feel until it happens. I definitely don’t want to diminish the experiences of those who had a tougher time. I have heard that the recovery from a scheduled c-section is usually a bit smoother than recovery from an unplanned c-section, so you’ve got that in your favor.

@blessedbythebest88 I had an unplanned c section back in December. My husband and in laws got sick when we returned from the hospital. I was too anxious to have them around baby so I did it all. I shouldn't have because my incision came open slightly and we had to go to the ER. So take it easy, let someone hand you the baby. Limit stairs and bending over. Just feed and hold baby for the first couple of weeks.

@blessedbythebest88 i did a loottt lol i had an emergency c section but it went amazing and i was on my feet in no time. Make sure to take it easy and slowly ease into stretching/walking etc. All of which are very beneficial and will help in your recovery. Due to our work schedules i was alone most of the day while he worked, so i had to do almost everything by myself. I didn't lift anything heavier than baby though and when bf got home he would take baby off my hands. Dont take a bath and dont over exert yourself. EAT!!! DRINK!! as much as you can! your body needs it! Good luck!