Tell me I’m not a bad parent

@dan54fis A big part of being a parent is the pressure to always be on and a”good parent” all the time and that social pressure is toxic as hell. It’s not going to be possible to be a good parent if you don’t take care of your mental health and wellbeing. If that means your kid gets 90 minutes of Ms. Rachel while you take a much needed break, then great.

Also, I bet your kiddo was also miserable too, I bet that distraction break from the discomfort was nice for them too.

@dan54fis I also feel very guilty about screen time… but there’s always something to feel guilty about… I find social media is really pushing like homestead/ screen free… make your own bread… that’s not the real world when both parents need to work

I prefer Danny Go over Miss Rachel I can’t handle her baby voice… I get the method I just can’t

@dan54fis It was probably a good distraction for your baby. When you feel crappy do you like to watch TV and be distracted from your discomfort? You're a good mom who obviously cares a lot. You and your baby deserve a rest day, you're doing everything you can to make a bad time more tolerable. 90 minutes of TV doesn't negate all the time you spent with them making them feel safe and loved.

@dan54fis Tik Tok and insta are FULL of parent shaming. Facebook too. It doesn’t matter what you do someone’s gonna come in and say it’s bad. Don’t worry about it. You’re doing what’s working for you, and you’re doing great.

@dan54fis My son has a gluten allergy that we didn’t figure out until he was 3. One of the main symptoms is constant diarrhea. From experience, a bad diaper rash needs and air out AND screen time to help it move on.

@dan54fis My take on screentime is that big screen in normal qualities is fine (hell, I was raised with a tv on like half the time with working parents), but I’m more wary of tablets. Sitting and passively watching something that’s on (and not like swiping through YouTube videos the second you get bored) feels wildly different to my adult brain than a phone, tablet, etc. 90 min of tv when everyone is having a rough day is more than ok in my book: it’s often very necessary for everyone’s sanity.