Tell me I’m not “giving up” or a failure. Feeding 4 day old twins

@igbokwe Your babies will absolutely thrive whether they are formula fed or breast fed. Think of it this way - after the initial few months, absolutely no one cares how one was fed as an infant. We can’t go out in public, point at people and say ‘this person was definitely breastfed’, ‘this person was definitely formula fed’. When we catch a cold, or even when children catch colds, no one says ‘oh god, if only had they been breastfed!’. Of course it’s normal to feel a sense of grief if you wanted to breastfeed and it’s not working out, let yourself feel whatever you’re feeling. But remember that this period doesn’t last long and you are NOT a failure in any way.

Lastly, it doesn’t have to be all or nothing. I think this strong push against giving any amount of formula ultimately turns mothers off feeding any breast milk. Truth is, twins get to be smaller and therefore have smaller mouths, their suck might be weaker and generally many (though not all!) twins are notoriously difficult feeders in the beginning. It can take them a little longer to master the skill - and it is a new skill, both for you and for them. But it will take time before they learn how to nurse efficiently, they will need to grow a little bigger and get plenty of practice. If you do want to nurse, make sure you reach out for extra support, particularly from professionals/lactation consultants who are experienced working with twins.

Whatever you choose, breastfeeding, formula or mix, will be the right choice for your family.

@igbokwe One of mine had a really hard time latching/sucking so I had to pump for a couple of weeks just for her. I'm not a fan of pumping. I'm in awe of moms who exclusively pump. Nursing straight from the tap is so much easier in my opinion. (With my singleton I had to pump while I was working so I did.) It will get easier once they figure out the latching and suck thing, so keep trying if that's what your goal is. One feed it will just click. That being said, your sanity is worth a lot. Formula is perfectly fine - I just hate washing bottles more than I hated pumping so I kept trying, lol.

@igbokwe Second time mum to twins here. I fed my first child to 14months and currently tandem feeding my 14wk twins. The one thing i will never do is pumping. It’s soul sucking, it’s joyless, it’s really difficult to do with older children and it’s so hard to maintain supply long term. Literally it feels like the worst of both options to me. You are not wrong or weak for choosing a different path if latching is just not working for you. Do what works for your family. You could always try and latch them first, see if you can get a little feed in as they get bigger and stronger and then use formula most of the time.

@igbokwe Agree with you have to do what’s best for you.

I found I was able to nurse successfully once my boys were full term. It took 2 weeks of triple feeding them individually (nurse, bottle, pump) to work on their latch and make sure they were transferring enough milk. If you’re not working with an IBCLC I definitely suggest trying to find one.

@igbokwe Ultimately, put yourself first. Over the years there will be various challenges and for some things the cost is not worth the benefit. This is how I see it: If it makes Mom stressed and unhappy, it's also not good for the kids; they will feel the vibes. I gave up on a tidy house because not stressing about it made me more relaxed.

For my twins, one was better at nursing than the other. Eventually I breast fed one and bottle fed the other. It was ideal. I noticed this especially when traveling. I only had to pack bottles for one!

@igbokwe You are not alone in your feelings.

I am 2 weeks pp with didi twins born from an emergency c section at 33 weeks. I caught COVID while in the hospital and my boys have been in the NICU. I haven’t see them since they were 2 days old.

Today I made the decision to stop pumping. It’s uncomfortable, gives me anxiety, and I hate it. I know there is a shortage of formula, but I can’t keep doing this. It is a terrible experience for me every single time I let down, and I am not even producing enough to feed both of my twins. I feel some guilt about this decision , but I think it’s the best move for my mental health. I want to be the best version of myself possible for my boys when they come home, and I feel like pumping is preventing me from getting there.

Keep your chin up and do what’s best for you AND your babies. They need a whole, happy you.