teachers feeding kids too much junk

@binfoco I would have no issues with a parent requesting their child just eat from their packed snacks especially if the child seems to not really care. My child is in daycare and I was shocked someone brought donut holes for a bday. It seemed young to start bday treats already. I told them if he gets upset he’s not getting one he can have a little but otherwise just don’t offer it lol.

@binfoco I'd be really annoyed at the amount of junk food they're giving your kid if they were mine. While I personally wouldn't go so far as to take my child out of school on holidays because I wouldn't want them to feel left out of celebrations, the amount of junk food they gave out for Valentine's Day is wild. I can understand everyone getting a cupcake, but the fruit snacks, Cheetos, little Debbie snacks, and goldfish is too much.

You can definitely approach the school or teacher about your concerns, but it you just show up with complaints and not solutions you likely won't be taken seriously, and for good reason. Public schools are often underfunded and the teachers are definitely underpayed (I'm assuming your in the US?). It's likely that the teacher bought this out of convenience and paid for it with their own personal money. You could volunteer to provide snacks for the classroom on holidays to ensure that healthy food is being provided, or organize a group of like-minded parents to do this.

As for the soap, again, it's likely that the school purchases the cheapest option because budgets are small. In the meantime you could send a bottle of lotion to school with your child. You could also work with a dermatologist to determine if there are any specific irritants that may be the soap. If there are any irritants and they are diagnosed by a doctor, you could bring this to the school and work with them to find an alternative.

@jimxsmith Thanks for this ❤️. Usually for holidays they ask parents to bring something in to contribute and i have no control over what other parents bring. I do know the flyer they sent out before valentine's day, the teacher said they had enough snacks lef tover from last time and to avoid cupcakes! And this still happened. I mean i understand that they got them from parents , and they couldnt just be like , uh no im not giving these all out. It'd be like rejecting a gift i think.

@binfoco Not to be rude but then what suggestions are you looking for? The school doled out food provided by parents and you don’t care for it, that’s fair. Your options are to keep your child out of the party, ask the teachers to limit what your child specifically is offered or provide all the food yourself. You seem to not like any of those options so I’m not sure what your asking for advice about unless this is just a vent…in which case carry on!

@alanr Just hoping that maybe other parents have encountered the same situation. And wondering what they did to remedy it is all. I dont know what suggestions i am looking for exactly thats why i made the post.

@binfoco I guess it just sounds like you don’t like any option. The only way I feel like you can have input on this is to volunteer your time to the teachers to coordinate future parties with both the teachers and parents so you can guide more of the food options. But you’ve also mentioned you seem to be at a predominately low income school so I would keep in mind that the junk food your complaining about is also the least expensive food. You might get push back from parents if you take over and insist that THEY take on the extra cost and time to prepare healthier treats. I would be happy to do that if it was requested personally, but I also recognize that I’m privileged to have the resources to do it.

@alanr Yea thats why i wouldnt insist on the more expensive non gmo stuff . It just doesnt make sense for this neighborhood. But i mean, i am low income too , i just choose to spend my snap dollars on non gmo snacks and fresh whole foods.

@binfoco That’s your choice. You can’t force other people to feel the same way you do or spend their resources the way they think you should. I’m not sure why you’re so concerned about the GMO part of it but fruits and veggies are both more expensive and can be more time consuming in that you need to wash and prepare them ahead of time. Again, if it’s that important to you, take the lead and help plan but if all you’re going to do is complain about how other people are raising their children, you’re going to do very little to actually improve the situation.

@alanr Why did someone downvote your comment Omg it’s true????? The OP can pull the kid from class those days (shit Jehovahs Witnesses do that! The kids I babysat in high school got picked up early on holiday celebration days), let the teacher know he can’t have that stuff, or maybe take it from him when he gets home (because I doubt a kid is eating all those snacks at class/they’re likely to bring them home). Can’t change what other parents do for their own kids, and no offense, but their job isn’t to cater to one child that’s not theirs vs the many + their own!!

@binfoco Tbh one unhealthy snack is not going to hurt you just like one healthy meal doesn't fix all your ailments. This line of thinking helps me get through family gatherings lol. If this is an occasional thing (i.e., once a month), I wouldnt be super upset over it, especially if youre prioritizing fresh whole foods at home. If it's a weekly thing, sure, take your kid out of class that day or just do a partial day. The only other thing you can do is offer to buy or make healthier snacks (and absolutely I'd offer to replace their soap with something a little less harsh).

@binfoco Could you address this with the teacher or principal? Around me it seems like the schools are trying to not give so much sugar and candy all the time and many parents are raising concerns (I’m also in an area that has a lot of poverty and low income families and it seems that all parents are becoming more aware and concerned these days).

Unfortunately many people just don’t think about nutrition and food and how it affects kids and never will. Sorry but being an American I’m constantly amazed at my relatives who eat fast food and soda all day and are 100 + pounds overweight and can’t make the connection as to why their knees and backs hurt and have diabetes and honestly think it’s just genetic. Their doctors never bring up their diet or weight and just dole out pills. Many Americans have this mindset so I understand your frustration and when our young people are suffering with obesity and diabetes and being set up for a lifetimes of problems from these foods, it breaks my heart.

Maybe kindly speaking with the teacher and principal and suggesting more moderation could help? I doubt your the only parent who has concerns.

@binfoco All I have to say is solidarity. Why is it normalized for kids to eat artificial food dyes, artificial flavors and high fructose syrups? Drives me crazy. And we are supposed to be accepting of this yet I have the hardest time with people respecting the way we eat.

@binfoco As a teacher I'm supposed to alert parents to what foods we will use in class, so they can opt out ir provide am alternative if needed/preferred (ingredient list if we are making, brand name so they can research if shop bought). I would request they begin doing this, so for occasions you can opt out or provide alternatives.

In regards to the soap, they will not have the budget to buy better stuff. I suppose you could send personal soap for your child in their bag and request they use this instead. ❤️

@binfoco You keeping your son home to miss these celebrations is probably doing more damage to not only his social relationships and the group dynamic of the class but probably his relationship with you. Feed him the way you want at home and trust his body and the health you’re creating at home to filter out the crap.

@sweetheart5703 You're right. I dont want him to miss out. I just cant wait til he gets older and can decide himself what he wants to put in his body. Not to be dramatic but I cant help but feel like they are poisoning him like this.

@binfoco I hear you. I so get it. I’d reflect on the fear of that, though. I used to feel the same but health is not about control, it’s about balance. Our bodies are designed to keep us safe and know what to do with the toxic crap. It’s when that’s all we feed it that it becomes a problem. Here and there is not going to make a difference whatsoever. Perfecting health is not the goal; living well is.

I’d also prepare for when your son is older he may not make the same food choices as you. Empower him with knowledge and a love for himself that he values healthy choices and that’s all you can do!

Back