teachers feeding kids too much junk

@benftw Thats nice! Im hoping for a "tuition free" one.to open near here. Ive heard its a possiblility. But yea its like college tuition level as far as price here lol.

@binfoco There’s a good chance the issue with his hands is t the soap they’re using, but that he’s not thoroughly drying his hands after washing them. That can cause chapped skin. It’s something you can work on with him, and something you can mention to the teachers to watch out for too.

@binfoco I don’t love how much candy/sweets my 2 and 5 year olds get at school. But I use it as an opportunity to remind myself WHY we eat.

We eat to nourish our bodies and minds, to connect with others, we eat when we need energy, we eat when we are hungry, we eat for pleasure, on and on.

I hope that my not fixating on it will help my kids grow up to have a healthier relationship with food than I did and all the reasons we engage with different foods.

@binfoco My kid started daycare at 18 months. It’s just a normal daycare, but we’re in an extremely crunchy large metro area. I was shocked by how much sugar they immediately started doling out for snacks. Animal crackers, waffles, etc. I tried to provide him non-sugar snacks, because we were sugar-free until 2. But they’d change the menu last minute.

Once we were walking around the grocery store and he pointed to the bakery and said “it’s a cupcake!” We had never given him a cupcake or talked about them. Again, he was less than 2 years old at this point. I was so pissed. Why did daycare get to be the ones who introduced my kid to cake and why was I not informed he was eating cake? We started keeping him home on party days. (I also objected to having to provide monthly holiday party dishes and plastic-filled party bags for kids too young to understand holidays. Daycare is supposed to allow me to work, not create more work for me!)

Once he turned ~2.5, I started loosening up a bit. We provide my son a very healthy and low-sugar diet at home. It’s probably good for him that he gets exposure to some sweet things at school so he’s not that deprived little kid who still doesn’t know what a Skittle is when he’s 10.

That said, if we have a second child we will not be sending him to that daycare until he’s over 2. Partly because of the sugar issues, partly because I hate the main toddler room teacher.

@binfoco There’s an Instagram account called thefoodbabe which I think you’ll find very interesting. She discusses the same concerns you have at length, explaining why certain ingredients are bad, noting that comparable foods in other countries are made without these harmful ingredients. It’s just cheaper and not banned by the FDA which is why they’re still used.
Anyway, I don’t have any advice but I feel your frustration. I let my 2 year old eat most things in moderation so I don’t really care about the sweets but the amounts you listed are astronomical!! That’s A LOT of snacks for just one party. Plus kids at that age get full quickly and definitely don’t need that overload.
Doesn’t sound like you can really do anything about it unfortunately :(

@binfoco I’d encourage you to not check out thefoodbabe as the amount fear mongering she spews over perfectly safe/harmless food will likely cause you more anxiety. Rather I would encourage as another poster mentioned @foodsciencebabe .

Back