Solo-dadding for 3 days while wife is gone, and just took it from a 0/10 night to a 10/10 morning

@runforrestrun On the flip side, I’m finding I have zero time to tend the offset stick burner these days with a 1 month old. Also got a Weber Smokey Mountain which is pretty close to set and forget with the ability to go out and check the fire every hour or so.

@maggee I love my Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM). I also have a pellet smoker that I occasionally use for long overnight smokes, but nothing beats that actual charcoal/wood taste in my eyes (or mouth). Like you said, it really does maintain temperature really well once you have it dialed in, but you can still go out and check on it/throw more wood in/catch some air.

@runforrestrun I'd just be scared of the situation where you need to adjust the fire at the same time as the baby needs care. I love my offset but I'm probably going to get a pellet smoker for this reason.

@runforrestrun
Pellet smokers are nice, but they take out all the excuses of "oh, need to check the fire, brb" and take a 30 second mental break.

If you're doing a long smoke, you can still get this excuse out there. I go out to make sure the hopper still has pellets or that they are funneling properly.

I also don't have one of the WiFire or whatever ones, so I have to outside for temp checks anyway.

@scienceftw If you can swing it, a big green egg or kamado Joe will allow you to make anything and everything. Hell we even use it to make bread and desserts in addition to just standard grilling and smoking. Even got a rotisserie so we can watch the bird do flips

@chriscb The Traeger has seen more use in the first 3 weeks of my daughters life than in the last 2 years of my own. Ribs, brisket, bone in shoulders… the possibilities are endless when you’re awake every day at 3:30 AM! Keep us updated on how it turns out

Back