Slowing Down

oranges

So, I (32F) know they say it’s safe to continue any exercise you were doing pre-pregnancy and not to start anything new once you’re pregnant. But, I was almost completely sedentary before pregnancy. I would go on leisurely walks maybe 3-4 times a week. Went to the gym here and there, but nothing very consistently. But that was it. No weights or any real cardio. My first pregnancy, L&D, and postpartum were very hard for me because I was not physically active for the most part. So I decided I’d start going to the gym. I’m a former athlete—played soccer and basketball all growing up, pick up games here and there as an adult, and there was a period during college where I was weightlifting consistently. So while I’m no stranger to workouts, I’m also no spring chicken. A week ago, at 5w+0d, I signed up for a Bodypump workout class at our local YMCA. It’s low weights and high reps. Lots of squatting, lunging, pushups, and core involved. I was able to keep up pretty well, but was sore the next two days. Took a break. I went again this morning at 6w+0d. I was very much NOT able to keep up. I had to keep taking rest breaks and actually felt faint at one point. I did what I felt was the responsible thing, listened to my body, and left the class about 2/3 of the way through. I couldn’t believe how exhausted I felt and how much one week difference made. I certainly don’t want to be sedentary again, and I think the weights, squats, and lunges we do during the class are really good for pregnancy. How do I find a happy medium? And should I let the instructor know that I’m pregnant? He’s a middle-aged man and I don’t know if he would even be able to offer me any insight. I have my first prenatal appointment and ultrasound in six days. Any advice welcome please!

@oranges This is normal. Your blood volume is changing and it leaves a lot of people more breathless. The middle ground is just as you did-listen to your body. Some days you’ll be able to give more and other days give less. Many find they have more stamina in 2nd trimester but just take it day by day. Some days I literally managed to feed myself and work and that was all of my energy. Other days I exercised as usual.

@andyu I go on and off to the gym tbh, anemia plus too much blood kills me. Also, hypermobility makes all the extra weight so tiring. I basically go when I feel okay lol

@oranges Info: you have gone to the gym before the pregnancy or you just started?

The first trimester is a bitch, at least in my experience. Exhaustion hits you out of nowhere, same with the morning sickness.

If you didn't go to the gym beforehand, I don't think Body pump is the right way to start. Especially if you haven't done it before.

@oranges Former BodyPump instructor here, yes let the instructor know! Part of their training (if they were trained properly) is learning options and variations for pregnancy to ensure you have a safe, but effective workout. Although you may not need many options just yet, they can keep an eye on you and better assist if a certain exercise appears challenging. I always told my pregnant participants to have a seat and drink some water any time they needed to, and jump back in when they feel ready. Those classes are no joke, a lot of constant movement with minimal rest, so listen to your body and take rest when needed. You could always go lighter on the weights or body weight only for the squat, lunge and core tracks.

Good luck, you got this!

@oranges I felt exhausted no matter how much I slept first trimester. I couldn’t do much of anything. It went away in week 13. I would probably avoid body pump going forward. It seems too intense for a new workout while pregnant. If you’re not in a workout routine, I’d add in yoga (so easy to modify and adjust intensity plus great core and pelvic floor strengthening) and more consistent walking (a hilly area especially can be a killer workout). But I wouldn’t feel the need to start any of this until you’re out of the first trimester fatigue period. It’s intense. I barely went to gentle yoga (maybe once a week) then and I was a very regular yoga practitioner for years prior to conceiving.

@oranges First tri zaps your energy - even things i was doing before getting pregnant i couldn’t keep up with first tri. I would start smaller - instead of a full body pump class do a workout video online that is 20-30 minutes instead. Some days you might have energy to do two of those workouts but some only one. Incline walking on the treadmill replaced running for me. It is better to do things you can tap out of easily as it is most important to listen to your body.

@oranges I was part of a studio with BodyPump classes years ago and loved them! However, if you're not wedded to BodyPump, I'd suggest trying Peloton strength classes. I'm 23 weeks right now and have been doing them 2-3x per week throughout my pregnancy. They're shorter, in the privacy of your own home (or gym) and use minimal equipment. As I've gotten a bump, I've been sticking with their visibly pregnant instructors who prompt pregnancy-safe movements and modifications.

@oranges First tri is rough and a learning curve! I take a yoga and pilates class and let my instructor know once I found out. Your instructor may have been trained in pregnancy safe positions or modifications or he may look into these areas, you never know unless you ask. Listening to your body is the best thing you can do! I just hit 6 weeks too and hit an absolute wall where a medium paced walk leaves me winded and dizzy. I’m sure next week will be a different story. Keep listening to your body and don’t be too hard on yourself! Just because you feel limited now doesn’t mean that’s how it will be for the rest of your pregnancy.

@oranges I did body pump workouts once a week for a couple years before covid and am also a former athlete (volleyball/softball). Let me tell you how they whooped my ass! I wasn’t even pregnant and had to catch my breath and felt faint. I’m someone who has trouble regulating their intensity level while exercising so I end up giving it 200% lol! Some days I’d just have to go easier or lift lighter and that’s ok.
The place I did them has since closed down and I’ve been doing Sweat in the meantime and generally enjoyed it. I’m now almost exclusively using Apple Fitness+ and really love it probably for the class atmosphere (it’s $80/year too so it’s one of the cheaper subscriptions). I like that there’s a range of workout lengths, so if you’re just not feeling it that day but still want to move, you could do a 10 minute strength or yoga workout. I do them all from home with a pair of dumbbells. There are also some very easy pregnancy-specific workouts for strength, core, and stretching.

@oranges I couldn’t believe how exhausting the first trimester was. I basically dialed down all of my exercises or understood there was a chance I would need a nap or be useless the rest of the day after a regular workout. I’m now 30+5.

If you continue with the class, I’d definitely let the instructor know you are pregnant. Even if he doesn’t offer any sort of insight, just give him the heads up so if you are modifying or taking a break, he doesn’t push you.

It’s more important than ever to listen to your body.

@oranges Pre-pregnancy I did body pump twice a week in combination with body combat and body balance but, like you’ve experienced, find a full class too much now.

The Les Mills app has been great for carrying on with these classes. You can do whatever length you feel up to, whenever you feel good enough to with no pressure to complete the class or risk of someone accidentally roundhousing your bump!

Maybe the pump class isn’t a good idea to do on your own as a beginner if you aren’t familiar with technique… but the others might work for you.

If you carry on with classes at the gym, 1000% tell the instructor you are pregnant