Sharing a crib

@cam I’m just sharing my experience. Our bassinet worked for us and I bought it with the mesh, which I was comfortable with.

@timothythe2nd It sounds like that commenter is describing something like the Halo twin bassinet, which is fine. The mesh is made to be for safe sleep and meets the guidelines/certifications of multiple countries.

The Twin-Z in the crib sounds unsafe, though.

@smaxiner My son was significantly bigger than my daughter so we did a split bassinet for 4 months and then their own cribs because he would squish her if he wiggled over.

@smaxiner Our twins are 6 months, have never shared a sleep space at night. I think so whatever you think will work best for you. We transitioned ours to cribs when twin A started rolling back to tummy at 4 months, and he moves around like crazy.. will take up the whole crib during a nap, so sharing probably wouldn't have worked.

@smaxiner My twins shared a twin bassinet until they hit 4 months, the outgrew it, so we move them into their cribs (separate) to my surprise, my twin B who I thought was my poor sleeper started sleeping much better turns out twin A was keeping her up. They actually seem to sleep better in separate cribs for me. (I moved into the nursery as well as I’m EFB)

@smaxiner You’ll know your babies capabilities. If your baby is rolling over at 1 month that’d be impressive. We put ours in the same crib but at a safe distance apart until they were about 3 months corrected. Safe distance being at least one full baby length apart. That’s when they started to turn 45 degrees while still on their back and we put them in separate cribs.

They’re your babies, trust your gut and be vigilant. If you’re unsure and think something bad could happen then absolutely separate them. Read up on the history and statistics of SIDS if that kind of information helps your uncertainty.

@chaddudebro One of my twins was rolling over at 3 weeks. 😭 She really likes sleeping on her side! I drove myself to exhaustion constantly putting her on her back lol. She wasn't properly rolling, though; she'd swing her legs around to do it instead of using core muscles. I gave up on my twins sharing their cosleeper after a week; I was too anxious lmao.

@smaxiner Twins can crib share for a few months until they are able to start moving around on their own, turn over, etc. (become a danger to each other). I know other twin moms who crib shared and their kids are fine. Your newborn babies will not suffocate each other. Make sure to keep them spaced apart. Crib sharing can be soothing for then as well and it helps them to bond. I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this comment but at the end of the day you are going to do what works for your family, and it's perfectly safe to crib share for the first few months if you'd like to.

@smaxiner We have two mini cribs so they slept in their own from day 1. When it came time for us to buy cribs my SIL sent me all these articles about twins sleeping together and their bond. That was nice and I understood her reasoning but I wanted them to have their own cribs because it was safer. We bought the kind that transitions to toddler beds so we save money and space!

@smaxiner We put them in the same crib for the first two weeks. But one was already becoming wiggly even at that age, so we split them into their own cribs. We have minis and they sleep in the same room.

@smaxiner Ours are 8 days old, we spent 4 days in the hospital. Two pediatricians, two labor and delivery doctors, my MFM ob, and countless nurses told us it was totally fine until they could roll over/scoot around on their own. Do what makes you comfortable, I was VERY anxious about this question until this past week, and insistent that they would sleep separated. But my girls tend to settle better when they’re closer to each other. I’ll let them sleep next to each other swaddled up tightly until they can move on their own. (We have them in a bassinet that we’re always in the same room as, fwiw. No crib just yet and no leaving them without an adult in the room.)

@smaxiner 100% separate, it's not safe to have them in the same cribs. We very very occasionally napped them in a pack n' play together when they were very young (like 1 week) and swaddled and I was right next to them the whole time.

@smaxiner We used a next to me cot and both were in there head to toe ie opposite directions and swaddled so they couldn’t roll over one another. After a time they were in separate cots probably around 3-4 months.

@smaxiner Mine shared until about 4 months. When they were newborns (1-2 months) I do think they slept better together. I'd wake up to them holding hands. 🥹 Once they started moving more, they quickly started disrupting each other.

They share a crib on occasion (vacations and family visits) but they definitely sleep better in their own space.

If you expect to do any type of sleep training they'll need their own cribs to thrash about.

@smaxiner My 5 month old twins are still sharing a crib. It’s worked well for us! I felt weird separating them after birth after they were so close for so long. At some point we will get a second crib.

Back