Seattle moms and traveling moms please help

aaronq10

Hi! I live in AZ and travel for work to Seattle. Read: I have no warm or rain clothes- ESP of the business casual variety.

I’m planning to bring a Patagonia nano puff and a lululemon always effortless jacket. Both are quite thin, but the lulu I believe is waterproof and has a hood. Under that I will just wear ankle length (ha) work pants and blouses. I’m used to working from home for the past 6 years.

I plan to bring 1 loafer and 1 pair of white reboks that im planning to wear to a client event. I always plan to explore the city for dinner (staying downtown) and wear jeans/top and the above jackets w reboks.

Does this all sound appropriate/warm enough? Thruthfully I don’t really have a choice as I’m going next week, but maybe I can plan for the future. Are the sneakers okay for client casual meetings and in the city?

Lastly, I’d love to find an ahi crusted tuna, preferably over wonton chips. I understand that’s a big ask but I’ve been craving it for years. Otherwise, just downtown recs for food is awesome ome (sushi, ramen, pho, Thai).

I appreciate any help!

@aaronq10 Seattle isn't super-formal, so I think your plans sound fine - but if it's raining those white Reeboks might get a little dingy if you're walking outside a lot. I used to live in Seattle and now live in Portland (so, pretty similar weather) and wear mostly dark shoes/boots if I'm walking around in the rain to cut down on the mud/wet street dirt factor.

@aaronq10 Waterproof Chelsea boots with solid grippy soles such as the ones you can get from Sorel. They have business casual styles.

The grates and cobblestone can get slick when wet.

@aaronq10 If you're staying in the Central Business District, a lot of people go to Japonessa. You could walk over to Wasabi or Umi in Belltown and take an Uber back to your hotel. It's getting dark earlier and so it might feel sketchy for you to walk back solo.

There's a Din Tai Fung at Westlake Center . If you want easy and quick you can go to the Hmart grocery as they have a lot of food stalls.

@aaronq10 It's not super chilly here yet, temp in the 60s, so having a rain jacket should be sufficient.

Places I'd recommend: others already said Japonessa & Umi for sushi, I love Maneki for cooked Japanese dishes beyond just sushi, Bangrak Market (Thai), Tamarind Tree (Vietnamese), Kimchi House (Korean), Un Bien (Caribbean sandwiches), Canlis (if you can't get reservations, you can still get full menu at the bar). One night around Ballard would be fun too, tons of restaurants/bars around (I would avoid Walrus & Carpenter, though, overrated IMO, not worth the wait.)

Enjoy your trip to PNW!

@aaronq10 Oh wow, I guess I don't check weather forecast haha. It just feels like 60s to me. I've been on maternity leave and stuck indoors for the past week.

@aaronq10 Nah, I wouldn't worry too much about specific footwear. Just wear whatever you're comfortable in. I wear a variety: boots, loafers, sneakers, etc.

Back